Charlie choked half to death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenniferCameron

Reaction score
I was feeding Charlie and then all of the sudden she started running around and stopping in a panic, it looked almost like a bink session but I could see the panic in it. I had absolutely no idea what to do. Thankfully she choked it up, it was just a whole bunch of spit. I'm assuming she choked on a pellet and that's why she threw up. My poor baby, I was thinking I was going to lose her. She's sitting on my lap now and seems fine. Could this be anything else, I've never seen a bunny throw up or heard of it even. It was very little under a tablespoon. I'm still watching her to make sure it wasn't something else, and I'm too scared to feed her anymore. I'm so happy she's ok, I was so scared.

Oh gosh, that's so scary! Was she eating at the time? Does she seem to be having trouble breathing? Maybe a vet visit is in order if you suspect she may have inhaled spit. Poor girly, that must have been terrifying for both of you.

It happened to Bunny once. He was eating his pellets and all of a sudden he started to make choking noises. He was running about in his cage and flinging his head so I let him out, he thenlet out a loud cough and was fine after that.

I had to supervise him while he ate his pellets for weeks after that incident. It is indeed scary!

It must have been something that he had caught in his throat, rabbits cannot vomit. I have seen/heard a bunny cough when eating before though, it's not fun.

yeah it was a piece of pellet caught in her throat, a few little pieces came up with the spit when she coughed. She's fine now, she was fine a few minutes after it happened. I already monitor her when she eats, cause I feed my rabbits pellets by hand. I was so scared that she was going to die, and I had no idea how to help her. Is their anything you can do or will it usually just take care of itself? I'm so happy she's ok, Winston wouldn't stop licking her afterwards and he ran up and started licking her while she was chocking, trying to calm her down I think. He ran right from his room to her on the couch when it happened.

I"m happy she's fine, thank you guys for the opinions/advice.

JenniferCameron wrote:
I had no idea how to help her. Is their anything you can do or will it usually just take care of itself?
Glad your bun is ok. And good question - I would have no idea how to help a bun that is choking or what about if they stop breathing after - can you give them mouth to mouth? It would be fantastic if someone could put up something about bun emergency care..

juliew19673 wrote:
JenniferCameron wrote:
I had no idea how to help her. Is their anything you can do or will it usually just take care of itself?
Glad your bun is ok.  And good question - I would have no idea how to help a bun that is choking or what about if they stop breathing after - can you give them mouth to mouth?  It would be fantastic if someone could put up something about bun emergency care..

I would have tried mouth to mouth had she stopped breathing, my cat socks had kittens (she was young and an indoor cat, but escaped through a hidden passage in our house) and one of the kittens stopped breathing and I did it to him and he started breathing again, and we kept him and he was my giant baby for many years. He was huge, and so were his brothers, we ended up keeping the whole litter. (there were 3).

My point anyways is I would always suggest trying if something like that happened because you might just be able to save them.

I am so, so happy that Charlie is okay. I can't imagine - how scary! Thank God Charlie's okay...that's all I can say.

And thanks for the reminder on being willing to do anything and everything to save an animal in an emergency. I'm so happy your cat was okay as well and here's to hoping none of us have to deal with anything so serious.

Back