Changing temperatures

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky Snow

Reaction score
I just moved into my new basement apartment, andit is quite chilly. Well actually it's f-f-f-freezing.i donot control the heat in the house, and i am considering using a roomheater.

but i wonder if the changing temp will hurt the bunnies, as i wouldhave to turn the heater off at night, and when i leave the house.

i'm thinking it won't be good for them, the flip flopping in temp, but i'm just so darn cold.

Nicole

you might want to ask if they checked theheating ducts before they turned on the furnace.one apartment we livedin was a split house the other people had the thermostat, i babysat forthem one night and was amazed how hot it was in there half.I had beentelling my husband i was freezing.bought a thermometer to prove howcold it was.He checked the ducts and found a big rag stuffed into thempreventing heat from going into our side.I dont think a small tempchange will hurt as i turn my furnace down at night.bluebird

Wow Basment apartments are atrick to heat , especially when you have no controll overthe thermostat , Fluctuating temperatureswill wreak havock on their coats and health as wellas your health .

What I would do is ask yourlandlord if tere is somethng he cando to make the apartmentmore comfortable for you andthe rabbits , generallyanything below groundlevel will be coldbecause the area stays what evertemperature the ground is . Usually between 35 and45 degrees F. Nice and cool in the summerbut a killer during the winter .

Is there anyway to be able to afford torun an electric heater on low forthe duration of the winter ? , Keeping in mindit is going toraiseyour Electric Bill to a high level . Ifyou should decide to go this route youneed to insure there is nothing with in a 3 to 4 ftarea around or near the heater at all times .

I wish you good luck , butI honestly would be looking for a warmerplace to live before the weather gets too severe .

I will for sure ask about that, thanks bluebird!

Gypsy, i moved in last week, and it's only October, but gosh, i have towear a sweater inside. (thank goodness for slippers) Iamscared to keep a heater on all the time, they are a major cause offires, and nothing scares me more than a fire.

How much of a temperature change? Geta thermometer and measure how much it would be with the heat off andhow much it is with the heat on. Fluctuating by less than 10degrees should be fine. Just give them some hay in thecage.

I have to agree with the others. Get it checkedout. You don't want to risk causing your bunnies anyunnecessary illnesses or stress.

Sharon

i would rather be cold than risk my babies'health. they seem fine enough now. their ears are a little cool, notcold, and i'm thinking they will get used to the temp. (it has onlydropped in the last couple of days)

i don't even have a heater yet, but maybe i'll just get one to test the difference. thanks Sharon.

The temp may drop even further when we reallystart getting snow. It may be better to have a bit of a flux ratherthan too cold. You don't want to be sick and miserable all winter.

I agree about heaters being on all the time, not to mention the airgets a bit stale for my liking. You could always get yourself a timerthat you put on your power point and set the time so it comeson at a certain time and turns of at a certain time, we have them forour fish tank lights.

This is like what we have, plug it in set the time and on and off go the appliances when you want.
timer.jpg

RET1-mod01.jpg

If the doors and windows are kept closed and you have a better chanceof keeping in the heat that you have built up whilst being home.

Lottsa straw for bunnies to snuggle in is a great idea and maybe a few extra sunflower seeds would help too.

I would still talk to you landlord though.

Goodluck and I hope you get something sorted out;)

ariel that thingy looks cool. i was just reading an old post about sunflower seeds, i'll pick some up. thanks a bunch,

Nicole

I lived in a basement apartment and feel yourpain! It does get colder than a "regular" apartment, that's for sure. Iremember having to turn my oven on high with the door cracked open towarm up at times!

There are many kinds of room heaters out there. What I would go for isone that doesn't have an open face with the wires visible. There arekinds out there that look like the old school kind of hot water heatinggrates, if that makes sense. I'm going to do a search online to findone. They work very well and are the safest kind, in my opinion.

They *just* turned on the heat in our building and it's been cold here too. 5 degrees chilly.

As far as it being safe for your buns, I think it's ok, as I've done itbefore. Just don't have the heater right next to them (obviously) andif you can, run a humidifier, which will really, really help with theircoats. I need one for my sinuses, but all benefit from it.

Ok, I'm looking for a picture of the heater I was talking about, andcame across this. Just scroll down to look at the picture. Who in theirright mind would put a heater like this?! LOLOLOLOLOL

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/098.html

All right, found what I was talking about.http://www.shop.store.yahoo.com/air-n-water/radheatsafoi.htmlI'veused these and found they work very well, plus I like how the heatingelement isn't visible.

Hmmmm... I seem to be having the oposite problem as you. :p

I just moved into a basement suite a month ago, and now that it'sgetting cold, it's roasting!! The silly temperature controlis just out side the suite, in the laundry/mud room area and rightacross from the door. So the temperature it reads is not thetemp in our suite, but the temp in the mud room. I've had toturn the heat down to about 10 degrees C, and I still wake up to aroasting suite!!! I think I'm gonna have to turn it off atnight.

I feel your pain though, when I was living at home, I had a littleheater in my room all the time because my mom kept the heat down allthe time and it was freezing!!!

--Dawn

thank Steph, that's the kind i'll be lookingfor. I'm not really one to complain about cold when i'm outside, butwhen i'm inside, i want to be warm. (it's like i'm living back inEngland again, with poor central heating)

Dawn-- i wish i lived in BC! You are very lucky. i hope to be in Whistler for the Olympics

Stephanie wrote:
All right, found what I was talking about.http://www.shop.store.yahoo.com/air-n-water/radheatsafoi.htmlI'veused these and found they work very well, plus I like how the heatingelement isn't visible.

This is the model I just bought yesterday at London Drugs for $59.99 on sale.

http://store.yahoo.com/celebritycookware/9707.html

It's great to use for an area or roomthat you arein, instead of having to heat up the wholehouse. Oil filled radiators are the most costeffective electric heater on the market. It takes a while towarm up (not instant heat), but you can leave it onfor the whole time you need it, without it gettingtoo hot or having hot spots. You can adjust theheat and set it to use less energy. Likeany heaters, you still have to be careful.

Rainbows! :)

thanks...i'll be passing both these models on tomy mum, whoi'll askto get me one for my b-day. cosytoesies here i come!

Nicole

sorry:embarrassed:

everything is still kinda messy, and with all my police testing stuff, i have been a little nutty.

probably by next week everything should be in some sort of order, so pics will be coming soon!

lol Nicole

Hehe, yeah Vancouver is great, home of the mildweather...:D But man does it ever rain!! Lastspring, if I remember correctly, it rained for 6 weeks straight!! Thats42 days of consectutive rain. But other than that it's allgood!!

Guess I won't be needing the little heater I brought with me:p

Nicole: Hope you can make it for the 2010 games!! It'll be kinda cool having the Olympics here.

--Dawn

that olympics is going to be totally awesome! iwish i was good enough to compete, i guess i'll just have to settle forbeing a spectator, :(

Back