Changing food!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazminrae

Reaction score
Hey guys its time to change pellets, but im at a lost on how to and what to?
Right now my boys are on Purina rabbit chow complete (Green bag) because that is what the breeders gave them so we didnt change, but now that they are a bit older they seem to be lazier than usual and the vet said change the pellets. now with all of these different selections we are so so lost which do yall prefer? My vet said Zupreem Rabbit food, but we havent really seen any reviews on it? has anyone tried it? or would we just be better off going with Oxbow rabbit food? Also i know the vet said not to just switch it,so how do we do it? is it a gradual process? any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Also we saw a new brand recently at our local pet store called Selective? has anyone seen it and or tried it? it said it has 24% fiber

I've heard that Oxbow food is good (can't get it here), but if your vet has recommended something and you trust your vet, I'd go with that (subject to cost).

As I understand it, yes, it's a gradual process. Keep on with their usual stuff, add a tiny bit of the new stuff. Gradually increase the amount of the new stuff. Keep an eye on their poos.

I use Oxbow pellets and have had good results.

When you switch pellets, doing it gradually is best. Start with a mix of 25% new food and 75% old food. Give this for about a week. If you rabbit does well, go to a 50/50 mix or old and new. The next week to 75% new and 25% old. If you will have some of the old food left, you can keep giving a mix until you are done or get rid of it. They sound then be good to go on 100% new food. If your rabbit doesn't adjust well, you can do the same ratios, but feed them for longer while he adjusts.

I haven't had problems switching rabbits to a new food from a digestive stand point, even the ones that have had to have a sudden change (mostly rescues that didn't come with food). The only problem has been ones who won't eat the new food and may take longer to try it. Usually after a week or so, they are eating the new food.

Latest posts

Back