Changing Bunny behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy1984

Reaction score
Hi,

I need some help with my rabbit Buddy. He is 3 years old, male, neutered and also an inside rabbit. About 5 months ago I moved from my apartment into a house with a friend. Since then his behaviour has changed for the worse and I'm not sure what to do.

When I am get home in the afternoon I like to let him out of his fenced area and run around for a minimum of 2 hours. We will often have cuddles on the couch while I watch tv. Previously I have had no issues with his toilet behaviours. However now he will occasionally go the toilet on the couch if I am not paying attention.

He has also started nibbling hard in between licks, he not only does this to myself and my housemate but also to visitors. It is really painful and I can't get him to stop.

I let him outside for a run a few times a week which wasn't possible in the apartment. I give him lots of attention as does my house mate. I don't want to keep him locked up all the time. I thought it might have been a phase while he adjusted to the new surroundings but it has been months now and he is settled in his new environment. I am getting worried that his new behaviours are here to stay.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Often times buns seem to like to potty on soft items such as couches or beds. You could simply block the couch in some way when he is out so he cannot get onto it. You can always do like I do and sit on the floor for cuddle time. Although I just do it because Thump doesn't get up on the couch too often.

Get a cover for on it that will protect it when he is out.

As far as the nibbling, you can either let out a squeal or you can hold his head down firmly but gently for a moment, longer if he fights it.

yelping or immediately turning your back to them help them realize their behaviors are not nice and you don't appreciate it.

Also, one method of discipline you can try is to not only push the bun's head down gently while covering their eyes, but also to emit a "psh-ing" sound. My bunny has equated this to him being in trouble and he often stops his bad habits when I make the sound. I find it much more effective than saying "no" to him. The yelping is a good idea as well! Ignoring works some of the time as rabbits seem very attentive to movement. When you notice them, most of the time they will notice you back, unless they purposely want to ignore you!

Back