changes after surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truvy

Reaction score
so to update, i took truvy to the vet for her pre-spay visit, first of all to confirm that she actually was a she. i took her to one of the approved rabbits vets on the house rabbit society. they told me she was in fact a girl, and that the spay would be, total, over $300. So I called around and found a much cheaper one (but still on the approved list). I dropped her off for surgery only to be called an hour later. Truvy was a boy! I couldnt believe it. What if I had done the surgery at the first vet and they went ripping through her abdomen, pulling things out!?!? I was a little bit frustrated. I'm not sure if this happens all the time, but it was a little disconcerting. Anyway, the NEUTER went well and HE is home doing fine (although now semi-nameless). The only problem is now he is charging my oldest cat repeatedly, forcing the cat to try to defend herself. (She cant even run away because the bunny just keeps running into her) It's really scaring me so I've kept them separate for now. Is this kind of behavior normal after a surgery? This is the same cat that the bunny would come up to, put his ears back, and allow the cat to groom him forever. ? ? ?

After surgery you should really keep him confined until his neuter site is more healed.
He may be dominating the cat simply because he doesn't feel too great. Also, the other vet that said he was a female wouldn't have just started taking organs out. When they opened him up they would have realized their mistake and preformed the neuter. Still not a good situation, but just wanted to put that out there for new members reading.

:)

frustrating though isn't it. He probably is still not feeling well and is just warning the cat to stay away. He will calm down in a few days. If he knows his name I won't change it. Truvy sounds pretty sweet as a little boys name, after all Johnny Cash had a song about a boy named Sue. If you are worried call him Mr Truvy. We have a rabbit that is named Mr Daisy. The girls insisted on calling him Daisy even though he is a boy. If he is your avatar he looks pretty sweet, and probably him and the cat will be best of buddies again once he has recovered from the surgery.

yes it is frustrating! i am going to keep his name as truvy. i usually just call him bun-bun anyway :) but yes he knows his name and will come when called (in hopes of a treat!) i hope they go back to being friends, because he is the only friend that eva (my older grumpy cat) has! the kittens and her dont get along, but she has a soft spot for the bunny!

i have him resting in his cage for a few days :innocent

Definitely keep the cat away from the bunny for a while. The bunny probably feels weak and thus threatened and needs to establish pecking order.

I would actually expect that they would have discovered he was a he prior to opening the abdomen. Rabbits are notorious for "holding" their "boys" up in the abdomen when scared or nervous, like while being examined by the vet. When they put them under anesthesia, they often drop. This happens sometimes at a cat spay/neuter clinic I help at. A boy may come to us and we might think he's cryptorchid, meaning one testicle will not descend out of the body cavity, which requires abdominal surgery. After he goes under anesthesia the one in question drops and they can do a normal neuter.

Latest posts

Back