chalky urine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippie

Reaction score
hi everyone

i have noticed in the last couple of days that my 6 mnth old netherland dwarf has been passing an almost creamy urine that dries chalky. coincidentally, i have tried a new type of pellet-could this be why? does anyone know what causes this? should i cut down on the quantity of pellets or cut them out completely for the next few days? he has never been a big raw veggie fan-could i perhaps puree some and give them to him instead? are there any in particular I should avoid? so far he has tried carrot, cucumber, broccoli, snow peas and capsicum but is not particularly interested. he has unlimited hay also. thanks!!

What were you feeding before and what are you giving now? The brand, guaranteed analysis and ingredient list can be helpful to pick on on the small changes.

It sounds like calcium buildup. I'd try to get your rabbit to drink more fluids. We had a rabbit that had this and it got so bad that the urine was almost like caulk. We didn't catch it in time and he died from what appeared to be a UTI (urinary tract infection) but I think the infection had gone on long enough to get into his system further.

The rabbit pellets are an australian brand called Ol Jacks. The ingredient list is alfalfa, barley, wheat, oats, rye etc, could it be the alfalfa that is doing it?

Yep I'd agree with Peg that it sounds like Calcium buildup. I guess the Alfalfa meal in the food could do it-mine have alfalfa based pellets and its never caused an issue (and I've had 5 different bunnes who I fed the same kind of pellets for a long time) but possibly I guess. Oxbow is a good timothy based one you might try.

Bonkers had it when I first got him, but then it went away when I got him interested in hay and gave him a crock for his water so he would drink more. Im guessing he was in a cage with a bottle and no hay before I got him :(. Have you tried more leafy greens? Maybe cut down on the pellets and get a water crock too :) I hope your bunny clears his pee soon :D

The dreaded calcium. Our vet said NO Alfalfa, and to cut out veggies like kale, spinach, broccoli and change food to one that is alfalfa free--cleared her right up.

Latest posts

Back