Chalky substance in Charger's urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
I was going to change charger's box and , he has a white sheet down because he was pulling at my rug, there was a urine spot there when i moved the box and it had a white chalky substance on it. It was all dried up, and i touched it and the white part was powdery, what should i do? what does this mean?

Charger is almost 7 months, he gets romaine lettuce everyday,unlimited water from the tap, limited oxbow timothy hay pellets, unlimited hay, he is un nuetered at this point, the only new change was his cage i moved from across the room a few weeks ago

When my bunnies urine dries, ecspecially Daisy's, her urine turns white. It maybe nothing. I did have a thread on it about a month ago.

thanks, i seen the pics, i was like eeeewwwww,lol. I see that most of the responses say that it is pretty much normal. so i am glad for htat,lol

Its actually calcium. Rabbits dont process it very well and a lot of it gets filtered out through teh urine. the CLR bathroom cleaner will remove it from cage wire and stuff. I've even had it form little stalagmites on the edges of my cage floors. But yeah your rabbit isn't dying or anything.

As long as it isn't sandy or too chalky, especially when it first comes out, it should be fine.

i am glad that it was nothing to be worried about. Claire i felt it, it was dry by the time i found it, was dry and the white stuff was dusty not sandy at all

Dunkin get's this when his diet has too much calcium. Romaine is high in calcium. I used to feed it everyday to my Guinea Pigs until I learned this, which is why they were having the white calcium deposits as well. If you were to switch to using Green Leaf lettuce daily and Romaine occasionally just to mix things up (which is what I have done) you would probably stop seeing calcium spots. After cutting out Romaine out my guys daily diet it has stopped.

i should try to change it up more often then i do, money has been tight so i havent been able to go with getting a whole lot of other stuff but i will have to try to get something else in too

Latest posts

Back