CENTIPEDES ARE BUNNY AND PET KILLERS (SCOLOPENDRA POLYMORPHA IN YAVAPAI COUNTY ARIZONA)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelsoulcalibur1

Reaction score
made the huge mistake of not rushing my bunny to the emergency room after finding a huge red welt on my precious plum sesame's back (9 year old american fuzzy lop around 4 pounds) and tried to treat it at home--didn't think much of it after initial information--found the centipede dead in cat food bowl near rabbit--she was dying from a tumor and still tried to save my bunny--she passed a week later although I now know the centipede venom had an effect on her as well--bunny seemed fine--eating--but was slowly slowing down--just thought it old age, heat--he seemed fine but around 2 weeks later he suddenly passed--I KNOW THE CENTIPEDE'S VENOM HAD A DELAYED EFFECT--venom contain myotoxin cardiotoxin and neurotoxin dangerous to pets NO MATTER WHAT GOOGLE SEARCH SAYS. If this happens to your pet do not hesitate to rush to the ER with teh centipede if possible so they can administer anti venom--these instances are not well documented--I had to DIG for anecdotes of these PET KILLERS. My first huge mistake was leaving outside in playpen unattended for 30 minutes with cat food bowl as centipedes are carnivorous, in desert country. PLEASE DON'T REPEAT MY TRAGIC MISTAKE. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the centipede but it had unusual coloring for its kid--red and dark brown that made it almost seem monocolored

1649352738389.png

Thanks for the warning! Nasty little critters. They can hurt humans as well.
I did see a bug forum that claimed they weren't dangerous, but Desert USA says they are suspected of 5 human deaths between 1991 and 2001. An article (my son found) in the Journal of Medicine (1985), states that a 44 year old Yavapai woman was bitten by one. It caused acute renal failure that almost killed her.

I only applied soothing antimicrobial wound healing ointment and fed detox herbs). and upon further research after the fact, i found out that papain deactivated the majority of the proteins in the venom, and that epsom salts/ mag sulfate would've helped in addition to charcoal to draw poison out, follow up with organic antispectic and wound healing ointment (mine contains ceramides and organic oils provit b5 in antimicrobial resveratrol pomegranate seed oil green tea extract), then a trip to the vets for iv fluids and check vitals and check for protein in the urine, perhaps tetanus update (read wiki on centipede bite/treatment), and supplement with 1000 mg vit e drops (read this on another bunny forum, not sure what the dosage she used was, perhaps the full 1000mg) to boost glutathione for liver protection and detox. I also read a study that organic powdered lemon added to the bunny diet (2% diet, study is easy to find)I highly recommend adding all these to your arsenal. Is there a good bunny detox protocol re: length time and crucial components (internal antibiotic such as grapefruit seed extract?) and dosage? I had no warning signs, no signs of pain, except some lethargy 2 days prior to which I ascribed to age (9 year old fuzzy black tort Holland lop, plum sesame). I surmise the toxins were slowly overwhelming his small body's detox capabilities. He was eating (hay, ground flaxweed, mustard tumbleweed, kale, parsley, cilantro, lettuce, all organic), I only fed him purified reverse osmosis water. I wouldn't recommend tumbleweed mustard because I read that they are good for soil remediation because they hyperaccumulate uranium and other metals (will get my soil tested, I know there was some arsenic in the well water, not sure if tumbleweed hyperaccumulates arsenic). Hope this helps anyone else if lightning were to strike. I'm sure if I had known any of this or had the presence of mind to embark on the research (instead of trusting an initial google search), he would be with me.
ps: as for papain, i don't know if green papaya powder or mature papaya is better for papain and chymopapain--make sure they're organic!

the organic antiseptic should be more robust than mine, containing silver colloidal (argentyn is excellent), maybe acv, more antiseptic oils tea tree oil, maybe peppermint oil for analgesic/ cooling soothing, aloe vera, lemon oil, oregano oil, thyme oil, berberine hcl, clove oil, garlic, onion, all organic, but definitely go to vet and ask if tetanus update is needed ... + probiotics if infection is present

Latest posts

Back