Celery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBug

Reaction score
Can Violet have celery? i hate it, but i guess if she'd like it............................

so can she have it?

thanks!

Yes, celery is on the "safe" list. Mine prefer the celery leaves, though they also eat the stalks.
The lists always mention to cut up the stalks into 1-inch or so pieces, because of the fibers in the stalks.
I do wonder what the reason for that is? They eat hay that has fibers, too, but no one cuts those up into 1 inch bits.. any thoughts, anyone?

Hum, I always heard that celery was bad for rabbits. I did give Rascal some one time and he was fine though:?.

Yep celery is ok to give your bunny,but do make sure that you cut it up into little bite sized pieces,because of the stringy bits that celery has.

Cheryl

No,no potatoes...they are way to starchy for bunnies..that's what i have heard anyway...i have never fed my bunnies potatoes before

Cheryl

I think when they refer to 'fibers' they mean the strings, which can build up, and cause an impaction. Phinn hates celery, but when I give it to Cleo, I cut it up and pull the strings out.

Hazel-Mom wrote:
Yes, celery is on the "safe" list. Mine prefer the celery leaves, though they also eat the stalks.
The lists always mention to cut up the stalks into 1-inch or so pieces, because of the fibers in the stalks.
I do wonder what the reason for that is? They eat hay that has fibers, too, but no one cuts those up into 1 inch bits.. any thoughts, anyone?

My guys love celery! :D Not as much as other veggies like kale, pea pods, broccoli and carrots (top favourites here) but they will still eat it :). I've never had a problem with strings, though I usually cut them into tiny pieces or diagonally so the strings are very short.

Lots of water and fiber in it.. but it has very little nutrients in it, so your best to stick with dark green leafy veggies, herbs, and bright coloured veggies (Brighter/deeper the colour, better for them generally, just make sure it's safe! ;)).

Celery is good! Although I learned from my shelter about a rabbit who had to have surgery, because the strings became blocked in his stomach/intestinal track. So always remember to cut up the celery.

Muffy was obsessed with the leafy parts.

And potatos are a huge no no.

Because of the problem of the celery strings, I only cut off the leaves and give them to my bun, who loves them. I think celery is high in Vit E and it's good for them plus tasty too.

Marietta

I don't know if my buns are picky or spoiled, but if I feed them, I cut the celery into pieces and give it to them, and by the time I get to the last row, the first rows have devoured theirs. However, if my son feeds them, and he just gives them the stalks, they literally will not eat it. So I have to go back and chop it all up ANYWAY..

I usually give the leaves to the elderly ones... the ones who have had teeth removed or are just so feeble they can't hardly chew.

I did watch my house bun inhale very large, whole, stiff pieces of hay yesterday, and questioned the exact same logic about celery strings..

Zin

Back