cecotrophs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
does anyone know if rolled oats would cause an excess of cecotropes. I give Bella a teaspoon of them not every day, but every alternative day after her babies were born, as she seemed like she was losing a bit of weight. She is back to her usual self and the rolled oats helped her gain her weight back. She isn't over weight, but the last 2 weeks a couple of days there were extra cecotropes, not alot, but it happened 3 times last week and 2 times this week.

Does anyone think I should stop feeding her rolled oats, as she is back at a good weight. I mainly gave them to her to help her out while she was feeding her babies, as she seemed to be struggling with weight gain after birthing. I don't want to stop giving them to her as she absolutely loves them, and she has bonded with me even more since I started giving them to her (a way to a rabbits heart is through food).

I only give her 1 tsp. Shall I try giving her 1/2 tsp,

They could cause mushy cecotropes from too many carbs and not enough fiber in the digestive tract, upsetting the microflora. Excess cecals is usually caused by too rich of a diet from too much protein. The difference is excess cecals are normally formed blackberry looking clusters, mushy cecals are ones that come out semi formed or unformed and pasty.

Yeah, try half a tsp or even reducing down to 1/4 tsp, and see if that clears it up. Is she still nursing? And has she been getting alfalfa hay every day while nursing?

they aren't mushy, there have just been excess a couple of times. She has stopped nursing from what I can tell, and she was being fed some fresh alfalfa, but I have changed her from that to hay, as she isn't nursing.
I am guessing it might just be the rolled oats, so I'll definitely cut down the rolled oat to 1/4

Thanks a lot for the help

Latest posts

Back