Cecotropes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowballbun

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just had Snowball out on my lap for a while this evening. She acts restless when she has to go potty because she doesn't want to go on me. I put her in her pen and immediately saw a large pile of poops.

Only, these poops I believe to be cecotropes and I have never seen these before. They were a large cluster stuck together that looked soft and they smelled. Looked like a cluster of grapes. I know it can be bad if rabbits don't eat these, so do I have something to worry about? Might she still eat these later?

Cecotropes should be eaten but a few uneaten ones isn't cause for alarm. Usually they will eat them as they are produced, directly from the anus. Sometimes if they get distracted while that's going on they leave the poop and don't eat it. Sometimes they don't eat them if the diet isn't right. What's her age, size and diet.

Snowballbun wrote:
Hello everyone,
I just had Snowball out on my lap for a while this evening. She acts restless when she has to go potty because she doesn't want to go on me. I put her in her pen and immediately saw a large pile of poops.

Only, these poops I believe to be cecotropes and I have never seen these before. They were a large cluster stuck together that looked soft and they smelled. Looked like a cluster of grapes. I know it can be bad if rabbits don't eat these, so do I have something to worry about? Might she still eat these later?
the life cycle of a cecotrope or night poops,,you are correct,they are like a small cluster of grapes,,generally eaten upon delivery--apparently disguarded,,watch her behavior,but her gut flora apparently didnot need this batch,,..i have not seen them eaten later either,but.??--here is a very good link you,ll love http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html --grasses and water,,call me in the morning,,...sincerely james waller:big wink:

Latest posts

Back