cecotropes.. too much?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChelle

Reaction score
Hey. I got my Holland Lop about 2 days ago, and I noticed his cecotropes this morning. I had him out and running around, starting at 9:30. About every 10-20 mins or so, he would stop and expel a cecotrope. It is now 11:30, and he is still having them occasionally. He hasnt eaten any of them either, from what I can tell. Im worried, because I know he is supposed to be eating them. Is it a diet problem? Is he still just getting used to his home? Do you think it will change as time goes on? Please help, anything you have to say would be appreciated :)

Can you tell us about the diet he is on? Does it differ from what he was on before he came to you? How is he acting in himself?

Congratulations on your new bunns addition and welcome to the forum :)

I honestly dont know what he was eating before we got him. Right now he is eating alfalfa hay (which i have recently read is not good. Im going to get him timothy on monday) and pellets that are higher in fiber and lower in protein. We have given him a bit of fresh veggies every day. As for his behavior, he seems very happy, running around, doing little flips lol. He is very lovey, licks us a lot. He seems fine, but I want to make sure. Id be heartbroken if something happened to him :cry2

And thanks:) Im very excited to have a new animal friend, and Im excited to be here to talk to other rabbit lovers!

How much pellets are are you giving him? Are they alfalfa pellets? what fresh veggies are you giving?

Are his cecals formed 'properly'? Like in a long sausage of mini grapes? Or are they runny and more diarrhoea-y?

It can take some rabbits some time to settle down, and that uncomfortable feeling can be enough to make them not eat their cecals, but equally, it could be dietary, but hopefully won't be a health issue (although potentially it could be, but normally its a diet imbalance).

Perhaps until his digestive system settles down, you could stop feeding him the veggies? If things don't improve, then at least you'd know veggies wasn't the cause.

Im pretty sure the pellets are alfalfa, tho Im not completely sure. Its not too specific on the bag, but it shows the first ingredient as alfalfa lol. It does have hay and other stuff mixed in with the pellets, which Ive also now learned is not the best :) Im learning as I go lol. He has an unlimited amount in his cage. I just fill up his bowl, and Ill refill it when its empty. Is that bad..? I have been giving him some dark green lettuce's, not exactly sure what kinda. I have given him a bit of carrots, and I tried parsley, but he didnt like it :)

Yes they are properly formed. Not runny at all. Just kinda sticky, and they ARE like grapes or sometimes the longer skinnier type. Since he is having so many, he steps all over them, and they are getting stuck in his fur.. yuck.

How old is he? It might be that the unlimited feeding is doing it. Rabbits need a diet of about 80% hay, and so free feeding pellets probably means he is eating too much of those and not enough hay.

It sounds like his poor system has had a lot of potentially new things to deal with since coming to you. Any adjustment needs to be done graudally for a rabbit because they do have such sensitive tummies.

I would say that it would be worth cutting out his veggies, getting him on a complete pellet and grass hay and gradually cutting down his pellets until he stops having excess cecals. For a bunny under 6 months some people recommend free feeding them pellets but I found when I did that I was up to my neck in cecals so I gave them the maximum amount of pellets I could without getting excess cecals and adjusted that as they grew. As an adult they don't need to be free fed, they only need a tiny amount of pellets.

He's only 8 weeks old, so he's still way little. Ill def cut out the veggies, and cut back on his pellets. I just want to do the best for him that I can!

Thank you both very much for the advice! I appreciate it a bunch :) Hopefully we can get him more regular

oh and how can i get the little patches of mess out of his fur? I read about fly strike, and I def dont want that. But its not just easy pieces to get out. Any suggestions?

It might be you need to carefully trim it off with some blunt scissors, or give him a butt/feet bath with some luke warm water and some mild rabbit shampoo to get it out.

If he is only 8 weeks old then cut back on the veggies completely and give him none. It may be his tummy can't tolerate them, and normally its suggested that they are given veggies when they are older if its unknown if mum had them or not.

Then maybe look at gradually switching his pellets to a better quality pellet and see if that helps. It may be the veggies are the problem, so that would be your first step, I think.

can i get rabbit shampoo at a pet store? Im not sure if Ive ever seen it or not.. And at what age can I start giving him veggies? Sorry that Im asking so many questions, but I google stuff, and it seems like everyone has something different to say. It can get a bit confusing :?

I would suggest reading the sticky at the top of the Nutrition and Behaviour forum, and also have a look through the threads in the Bunny 101 forum and read the relevant ones in there too.

As for the shampoo, I'm not sure where you would get it over there, hopefully someone else will be able to answer :)

I just use a castile (olive oil) soap or a good real soap bar I stay away from the detergents & chemicals that are in some pet shampoos & bars. Dr. bronners would be a good one.

Back