Cecotropes or Diarrhea?? Help!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
Help!

My Sweet Cupcake has had what I call "mushy" poops the last few days. Iam not sure what Cecotropes look like but these aredefinately brown looking mushy poops.

I decided to limit the amount of Alfalfa Hay since she seemed to beeating a lot of it. Seems a little better today. Could it bethe brand of her pellets? She was on them for a week - they are calledHagen Rabbit pellets- got them at the pet store where I bought her.

Also - she had been drinking succesfully from a water bottle all week& then all of a sudden her cage has been flooded with water- Idoubled checked the water bottle, looked okay & again, water everywhere. Not sure if it is a defective water bottle or myCupcake loves that water bottle so much she rolls the ball until watergoes all over. She is now back on her water bowl.

She is on my lap as I type this & what a sweetie- just want to do what is right for my baby! :)

I haven't given her anything except the hay & pellets.

Could it be the little sticks I bought for her to chew on? they looklike real little branches from trees- bought them at the pet store.

Think I will take them away too.

One of my rabbits was getting mushy poops like that too, but I had been giving him too many raisins....bad Mommy, right?

Also, from what I hear, Alfalfa hay is probably the worst kind to giveyour bun, as it's high in calcium and protien. They do love it, that'sfor sure. I'd switch her to Timothy Hay, it's much better for them,more fiber and less of the other fattening stuff.

On a side note, I'm moving to Ottawa next Thursday. :D

Baby Hollands have a delicate digestivesystem. Cecotropes usually look like a bunch ofgrapes. Hay is great for their digestion. You mightwant to consider switching to Timothy Hay. It is higher infiber (roughage) and lower in protien. How old isCupcake? HOw long have you had her?

Thanks the the advise guys- think I will switchher to Timothy Hay - I had some people tell me alfalfa was good, othersit wasn't?

Hey Stephnie, what part of the city are you moving to? Might have to have a bunny tea party! I am in the South West end.

Patvanecek- cupcake is 8 weeks old- only had her for a week & a half- still learning! Her pic is under my signature :D

I know that youhave to be really, really careful in the beginning while their littledigestive systems get into the swing of things. And aseveryone has already said, probably best to switch to TimothyHay. I posted a thread on a Veggie List in the last day ortwo, I think you would find it really interesting as it explainsseveral things about how their systems work, but use it like you woulda human baby. Just try a new thing each week or so, don'tover do. I think Alfalfa is fine in moderation for youngbuns, just not too much. I've never fed it so I don't knowmuch about it. The water thing has me concerned.Carolyn will respond soon. I've seen her ask something aboutwet feet before. I don't know what it is but it's bad, socheck with her. Good luck!

Hi Cupcake,

As Patvanecek pointed out, cecotropes look like a small bunch of blackgrapes. If you're getting soft cecotropes, the most common cause seemsto be high-carbohydrates, low fiber diet.

A general rule of thumb to look for in the ingredients of the pelletsyou use is at least 18%+ of crude fiber and 12%+ crude protein. Ifpurchased from a feed store, it's more likely to move off the shelvesquicker thus makings sure it's fresh.

As pointed out above, fruits and vegetables, and greens cause runnystools at her age, and Timothy Hay is less in calories, calcium, etc.Alfalfa isn't bad for young buns, but I would recommend you make themove at some point as your little girl grows up. For more informationon hay, http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/hay_grass.html

If she has a case of the runny stools and not the occasionalcecotropes, then stick to giving her grasshay and oats. Make sure she'sgetting plenty of water as dehydration is fatal and if the stools arerunny, she's losing water.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Hi, my name is Pat Vanecek. This is myfirst time to the Rabbits Forum. I ownBUNNYRABBIT.com. I want to let everyone know that we arecurrently running a FREE SHIPPING sale on all jewelry. Thesale ends Sepember 6.

We have the largest supply of Rabbit Jewelry in the USA so check us out:)

Our website link is at the top of this page;) Just click on the SALE item!

I am currently withouta rabbit. Bitsy, my houserabbit died a couple years ago and I haven't been able to replaceher. She was a hollandlop/minilop cross. She wasvery intelligent and we loved her dearly.

I have raised rabbits since 1977. Lots of differentbreeds. I stopped raising rabbits this spring due to a backinjury. I try to stay up to date on current medications andequipment for rabbits. I'll try to help with any questions ifI can.

I've attached a recent picture of me with my new hairdo!

TTYL, Pat

Thanks RaspberrySwirl for mentioning the water.

The best thing you can do for a rabbit is to keep it's environment clean and dry.

Dampness/wetness in a rabbit's environment can quickly lead to problems.

-Carolyn

Warmest Welcome, Pat! :dude:

I visit your site and do enjoy shopping there.

Happy to have you with us and look forward to sharing stories and information with you.

Welcome aboard!

-Carolyn

P.S. If you'd like to see our pictures, go back a page or so and seethe post entitled, "no bunnies allowed, pictures of YOU" by Lissa. :)

Hey- checked out all the pics- cute...added a picof my daughter & me- I hate side views cuz of my "Polish" nosebut then again I hate all pics of me!

Yay, Cupcake!

I think the best gift I ever gave my niece and nephew was a karaokemachine for Christmas. Last year for Christmas, I got my neice a glassdisco ball for her room. This year: fog machine. *laughs*

The Concerts we've put on!! :shock:

Pat,

Love the hairdoo! That's a great picture.

-Carolyn

Hi Pat! Welcome to the forum!I had ordered one of your rabbit stepping stones a few years back -- itwas a Dwarf Hototdesign for my daughter Stephanie.It's so beautiful!

I was sad to see you getting out of Hollands and wondered what had happened. Hope your back is doing better.

Pam Nock from PA :cool:

Update on Cupcake,

I am pleased to say that after 2 days with no Alfalfa Hay my littlesweeties poops are getting back to normal...yeah...no more "mushy"poops!

Thanks everyone for your advise:):):)

I bought her some Timothy hay today & gave her a very smallhandful & man is she ever hay crazy-she loves the stuff likethere is no tomorrow- I put it behind her hayrack & see digs atit like crazy to get at it!

Latest posts

Back