cecotropes & diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzybeaar

Reaction score
My bunny who is 3 months old has diarrhea?
She just turned 3 months this month. I feed her unlimited timothy hay & oxbow pellets. I have cut down feeding her pellets because I've noticed they gave her a lot of soft stools that would bunch up together so I only give her a little a day and it seemed to help.
Today after i fed her some pellets she hopped away & left behind a strand of wet poop, not the little circle-shaped cecotropes so I kinda panicked. I then lifted her & found 3 little
cecotropes stuck to her bum. Btw she had a lot the dry normal poop in her pen today so that was a good sign. She isn't showing any lethargy as she is hopping around & begging for pets. She is also continually eating lots of her hay & water.
The only new thing I gave her in her diet starting last week was one papaya tablet because I noticed she had some hair in her poop & it helped and since she is young I only planned to give it to her at least twice a month.
And also Oxbow Digestive Support tabs. It was suggested on the box to give 1/2 a day for 0-1lb so that is what I did & for a few days I noticed it did help with her soft stool poops but now I am thinking that maybe 1/2 a day is too much?
I am keeping watch on her & making her drink lots of water.
Can anyone tell me any opinions or suggestions to help me out

Do you guys have any suggestions for upset tummies?
Would oxbow critical care help?

If she has actual watery diarrhea and it isn't a one time thing, you need to get her to the vet immediately. If it is mushy cecotropes, it's likely the diet is the cause, though parasites and specific bacteria can also cause it, but often the symptoms are much worse, and this requires immediate vet attention.

The best way to clear up diet related mushy poop, or cecal dysbiosis, is to restrict the diet to unlimited hay only. So stop the pellets and other supplements, and anything extra you are feeding. After a few days you should start seeing improvement. Once the poop is back to normal for several days, you can gradually start reintroducing the pellets in small amounts. But at the first sign of soft poop, decrease the amount of pellets a little to see if the soft poop stops. If it does, that's the amount of pellets you should continue to feed each day.

http://www.sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/chronic_intermittent_diarrhea_in_rabbits.pdf
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

If her condition gets worse, get her to the vet.

Is the problem just the poop or does she have an upset stomach too and she's stopped eating? Critical Care is for hand feeding rabbits when they won't eat on their own because of illness. If she is eating enough on her own, there's no need to feed critical care food mix.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back