Cecals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterElla

Reaction score
Hi. When does a rabbit stop pooping cecals? It's turning my room into a garbage bin. >.< It smells so bad. Even if i already have provided litter materials. Should I use odor neutralizer? I'm scared he might lick it and die!

Rabbits never stop producing them. They are the first passing of the food and are usually eaten directly from the source. With most rabbits, you don't even see them.

You may need to adjust your rabbit's diet. It could be too high in protein. Try limiting pellets and giving more hay. Also take away fresh veggies for a little while.
I would give a small amount of pellets (like 1/2 of what you normally give) and lots of hay for a couple days. This can help reset the digestive tract. If he does not have any excess ones for a couple days, you can try giving a bit more pellets. If that goes well, maybe try adding veggies slowly. It is important to add things back slowly and one at a time so you can try to pin point what the issue is.
Finding a pellet with less protein can also help. Try to get 1-2% less that what you are feeding now. I don't know what is available in your area, but try to find something if you can. If you can't find anything, it may just come down to the amount you give.

He may also have an issue getting to them to eat them. This can be caused by arthritis (usually in older rabbits) or by being overweight. If it is arthritis, you may need to get something from a vet to help. If he is over weight, then he will need more exercise and a changed diet to lose the weight.

When cleaning them up, use paper towel to pick them up and then use some vinegar to wipe the area to get rid of the smell.

Has Chrome's new diet helped with his cecals?

sas

Latest posts

Back