cecals, wet long poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pOker

Reaction score
Vegas has been given a few more veggies lately-and with every veggie platter he has only ever gotten 1 leaf of broccoli..i didnt realize that it causes gas-so i just got rid of the rest once i saw on a site that it did...well today i went to check on Vegas and he seems to be his normal ol' self--came to the cage door, looked for a treat...he seems to be okay-BUT then I looked in his litter box-and there was a long string of poop..it looked slimy and squishy...and along with that there was a large clump of cecals...he doesnt have anything on his bottom, which is good, and his water was half empty, and his pellets were almost gone--so he is eating well..

Is there something that can explain this???? I didnt hear any noises in his belly-but i will have to check again and see if everything feels okay near his stomach...
He doesnt eat as much hay as he used to-which worries me, so i put in some blocks for him to chew on to keep his teeth in shape..he does eat hay, just not as much as he used to..maybe ill have to hide a craisin so he can eat the hay to get to it...

He hasnt eaten anything unusual-only the broccoli leaf...and it wasnt very big...could just one leaf cause him to have these bad poops-or could there be something wrong??
should i just keep an eye on it but not worry for now??

any help would be great..he doesnt go to the vet until the middle of February..

Thanks..

Broccoli has never caused problems for any of my guys (unless I overload them with too much of it or combine it with too many other brassica-family veggies).

But everybunny is different.

Sometimes it's any diet change, sometimes it's just a matter of getting used to them, sometimes the bunnies are intolerant, and sometimes it's not related at all.

If they're still getting used to new surroundings (and new roommates), that might affect them as well.

How old is Vegas?

A lot of bunnies won't eat hay unless they're bored or hungry and if they have too many pellets, the hay will be the last thing on their list.

sas

You could also be feeding too many veggies. i would eliminate all of them for now and feed just hay. Possibly with less veggies he would eat more hay.
You need to get a really good quality hay that your rabbit really likes ..that is the key to getting a rabbit to eat more.

In the meantime i would give your rabbit a dose of a probiotic like benebac.

I dont really feed him to many veggies..but ill cut it down to even smaller..he really loves the timothy hay, i guess he isnt used to having it in the hayrack though-because he really stopped eating it so much once i stopped putting it in his litter box...ill have to try that again.

thanks for the suggestions..ill post if anything changes.

pOker wrote:
Vegas has been given a few more veggies lately-and with every veggie platter he has only ever gotten 1 leaf of broccoli..i didnt realize that it causes gas-so i just got rid of the rest once i saw on a site that it did...well today i went to check on Vegas and he seems to be his normal ol' self--came to the cage door, looked for a treat...he seems to be okay-BUT then I looked in his litter box-and there was a long string of poop..it looked slimy and squishy...and along with that there was a large clump of cecals...he doesnt have anything on his bottom, which is good, and his water was half empty, and his pellets were almost gone--so he is eating well..

Is there something that can explain this???? I didnt hear any noises in his belly-but i will have to check again and see if everything feels okay near his stomach...
He doesnt eat as much hay as he used to-which worries me, so i put in some blocks for him to chew on to keep his teeth in shape..he does eat hay, just not as much as he used to..maybe ill have to hide a craisin so he can eat the hay to get to it...

He hasnt eaten anything unusual-only the broccoli leaf...and it wasnt very big...could just one leaf cause him to have these bad poops-or could there be something wrong??
should i just keep an eye on it but not worry for now??

any help would be great..he doesnt go to the vet until the middle of February..

Thanks..
i,ll point you to a website,,which should give you an idea what you are up against.//.the mystery of rabbit poop-- http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html-- sincerelyjames waller:wave:

thank you for the link--i checked it all out..he seems to being better now-i think that it was just the veggies like someone said...i now just give him carrots and some other greens and he does fine-but i dont give as many..

How many treats did you give him the day before? I always find cecals if I give one too many pieces of dried fruit the day before. It's not really anything to worry about unless it becomes common.

Yeah, sugary things and high-protein things are more likely to cause poop irregularities and uneaten cecals than veggies.

Back