Cecals stuck to 4 week old kits bums

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
Im hoping someone has a clue on what could be causing this.

I have four week old lop kits that are very fluffy and seem to be producing a lot of sticky cecals (no runny poops, just cecals) that are coming out and not being eaten or removed and getting stuck in the fur around the genitals. A few times when I have gone and looked on them one or two have had so much that it's covered the genital area over totally and it's taken a bum-soak in some warm water and much careful pulling to get it all off.

Now, it isn't happening to all the kits at once, one day it might be kits 1 and 7, next day it's only kit 5, then day after it's kits 3 and 4. Is it something in t he diet? They are eating the same brand of pellets as the last lot who only had the sticky cecal poop bum maybe for one day each then nothing afterwards.

Now the one thing that I am guessing is doing this is rolled oats, of which my doe gets some in the morning to try and help her with an underweigh issue. Because of her being skinny I also wanted to wean the kits around now but will this make the toilotry problems worse? Should I remove the rolled oats altogether? They do steal them out of her bowl even though it is high and hard to get into. They also nibble grass because they are in an outdoor hutch on the lawn. Grass did not affect last litter.

This is very common in lop kits. Soak their butts or carefully trim off poo and excess hair. A tiny amount of vaseline can often help keep poos from sticking.

Pam

Latest posts

Back