Cecals, Smelly, Sticky Poo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pOker

Reaction score
So I noticed now that Vegas has quite a few cecals and his poos seem sticky and they smell terrible!!! When he does have regular poos, they smell and are sticky, and often he hops on them and they smush to the cage bottom.

His diet hasnt changed, he hasnt been doing anything different...
His poos smell pretty bad and I am not seing as many in his litter box...
He is getting plenty of water and veggies, and lots and lots of hay..Pellets arent the main part of his diet, so I know I am not giving him too much of that..

He isnt getting anything different than what Poker is getting, and Poker is perfectly fine..

The only thing new in his cage is wood pellets...But I added a bit of carefresh on top..and he didnt chew on them or anything like that...He has some new toys, and one of them has a bit of a rope-ish end on it..But he doesnt really ever play with toys, and I examined it for any chew marks and saw nothing, for now I took it out..

What could be causing this problem?
Also-I always see everyone reccomend certain medicine to help resolve certain problems-if you could all just do me a favor and reccomend the medicine or what not, but please also mention where I could find it-Like what kind of store--or even a less technical name would be best.

I have to be able to tell my mom to pick up what I need--and she isnt the brightest person in the world..

Thanks Ya'll. Please help me out.

i dont want to rush everyone..but if there is something serious-I need to get him to the vet this week--I have the money to do it now.

I'd put him on just hay and water for a day or so and watch him very carefully. First sign of lethargy, or if the poops don't improve, get him to a vet for a fecal test. They can put his poop under a microscope and test it.

How old it he? What is his diet? Two bunnies won't react the same way to food.

sas :clover:

Half a cup of pellets everyday..
Lots and lots of hay..
A Few Veggies here and there..Kale, Parsley, Carrots,and some nice green veggies..

He was binkying like crazy today--so he is not lethargic.

Its fine :)

He gets Oxbow Pellets..15/23 for young and active rabbits.
I want to switch him to something a bit better.
He is a Holland Lop, I'd say he is about 6 months old or so.I am not sure of his weight--I dont have a good enough scale, he seems not as heavy the past few days, and he keeps kicking his pellets over and not eating any of them.

If he's off his pellets and losing weight, I'd take him in. He shouldn't be losing at that age.

I'd have him tested for parasites. He's a little young for dental issues but he's a breed prone to spurs, so I'd check that out as well.

I'd also start keeping a diary of exactly what he eats and how he poops.

Oki doke..I am going to check in to try and get him in as soon as possible.

He is okay with letting me touch his face and all that, and doesnt flinch when I touch his back teeth.

A few poos seem quite small..He isnt a small boy, so the tiny poos are not a good sign..They are smaller than Pokers poos, and Poker is only a bit bigger than my hand!

I would give him dose of a probiotic ( Benebac)
this may help to stabilize the microorganisms in his GI tract.

you can buy it in a gel in small tubes for small mammals and/or a powder form which sometimes come in foil packets or sometimes come in a bottle . You do

not want to get the kind made for birds but you can get the kind made for small mammals or it may be labeled for dogs and cats.
It is called benebac and I will post pics of the product and you can print it out and give it to your mother
I also agree to keep him on hay and water for a few days .
benebac can be purchased at petco and Petsmart. I am sure that it is sold in other pet stores but I am only familar with buying it at thoses 2 stores.
I aloso would give him some liquid simethicone. (this is infant baby gas drops). It will say simethicone 20mg on the back of the bottle and should have no other active ingredients other than simethicone.

you can buy this at most pharmacies. Some brand names are liquid Mylicon for Infants or Gas X liquid for infants. You can give 1 cc every hour for a total of 3 doses. This is to help with the discomfort of gas and will help relieve him.
Are you feeding alfalfa hy or timothy hay ?
if you are feeding alfalfa .. I wouldswitchto timothy hay at least for now

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/1401-BeneBac-Pet-Gel-Powder.aspx

http://www.mylicon.com/products/

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/gas-x-infant-drops-liquid-drops.html

I also agree that he should be tested for parasites ; which means a visit to the vet.

FWIW, my Vet always recommends the probiotics that are stored in the fridge. Those are the most active.

He'll say Acidophilus, but that may be because its the easiest to find.

Thanks ya'll..

Vegas gets Timothy Hay...he eats alot each day..

I am going to get some Benebac hopefully within the week (the weather is looking real bad)-If I know that I wont be getting out-I will rush order it or something like that and today I will get some Simethicone.

He is getting lots of hay and water.

I have been trying to call the vet all day-but no one picked up..Lots of places closed early due to snow.

I will keep ya'll posted on whats happening.

He has had 2cc's of simethicone already..
He is deff not lethargic, poos are still soft and squishy, hopefully with the Simethicone will help a bit.

One thing I am realizing-his nose is a bit wet--all around his nose is dry with a clear-ish stuff..it looks like it was wet and has just dried over a few hours.

I was holding him, getting ready to cut his nails, suddenly his breathing got very heavy and his whole body was shaking each time his nose moved..I havent ever seen him do this..I felt his chest to see if his heart was racing(maybe he was scared) but it wasnt going too fast--and I hadnt done anything to scare him, he is always calm in my arms..

His butt was covered in a bit of poo last night, and today it seems to be all cleaned-so I am guessing that he groomed himself.
and the cecals are gone from his cage-so I am sure he ate them..

The pellets remain in the cage--he is still eating the hay and drinking the water though..He actually drinks the water bottle quite violently--he drinks it so fast and then nusges it and does it again and eventually he knocks it right off..

Also-I groom him alot, almost everyday to keep his fur from flying all over the place; but it seems dull..not as shiny as it was last week...

He IS going to the vet on the 4th..but if it keeps up then he will go in as an emergency.

Wow that is strange. I agree, if he keeps making the strange breathing thing he should go to the vet ASAP.

He is going in on the 4th..
I told the vet about it over the phone today, she said it could have been that he found a scent and was really trying to catch it--know what i mean, i explained that different than she said I think..

I am keeping a really close eye on him..I check on him a few times a night..

I dont think he has anything too severe because he is not lethargic and his belly is not hard.

Back