Cavy Breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBirchRabbitry

Reaction score
I just gota Peruvian Boar & 3 Smooth Coat Sows. I got the boar and the sow from a friend of mine who owns a pet store. The other 2 I picked up today at an auction.

First the one female I got today, her "parts" are swollen and I put her in the pen with the other 2 pigs and the male went NUTS! He was prancing around, taking long steps and making a woodpecker noise lol So she has to be starting or ending her heat. Because he mounts her and she snaps at him :|

The main reason I posted this is does she sound like she is in heat lol

My Peruvian Boar is like an agouti with chocolatie greyish steaks coming through him.

My REW sow is a Silky Teddy or something like that, she is cute ;]

And the other 2, one is black and white with a little bit of tan by it's mouth and the other is tan and white, and totally unpredictable lol

Well just give me any advice on breeding and what not :]

Guinea pigs are hard from my experiance. I tried breeding twice, out of about 8 pregnancies I had one live litter, one litter born early and die the next day, one litter got stuck and was born dead and the rest where misscarrages. In the end My 4 guinea pigs all got sick and died withint a week of each other.

I always just kept the males and females together. They would breed when the female came in, because it can be such a short period with no signs and you might miss it.

After 8 months of not piggies last week I decided to get a pair for pets but only ended up with one. Brought her home and she got sick right away. No vets do guinea pigs around here(within multiple hours) so I read up what to do and worked as hard as I could but she was to bad. I syringed her a food mixture I made and water/pineapple juice every hour because she was to weak to take much at a time.

I am not good with guinea pigs apparently :/

I just know you have to be very delicate with pregnant mothers. Any amount of change that stresses them out can cause a miscarriage. The only birth I've seen, all three babies were stillborn and the mother died three days later.
Good luck to you!

Wow. I guess there are many things that can come up. I will say that pigs come into 'heat' often. I took in a pregnant female once years ago and she had been through alot while carrying babies. She gave birth to 3 the day after arriving to me and all 3 were rehomed along with the mother. She did great. I have never tried to breed gps so I don't know how all that goes but the foster I took in did very well with her litter and it was her first.

I have bred loads of guinea pigs and the babies are gorgeous, you do have to make sure the female breeds before she reaches a certain age, i think it might be just under a year you would need to check. The females hip bones sort of fuse at a certain age and they cant give birth properly if they dont have their first litter at a young age to sort of stretch the hip bones. This is not a good description but i am sure you get what i mean x Once they have had their first litter they can breed fine from then on.
The males do that funny noise and dance when they want to mate and if the girls arent in the mood they can spray the male with wee which is nice lol The smell from the males when they mate is horrible, you can leave them live together for a while to make sure she is pregnant then take the male out before birth. The females if a couple are preg will help each other feed and feed each others if one has lots of babies and the other doesnt. They are born with eyes and ears open and covered in fur and almost litterally run around straight away just like mini pigs absolutely gorgeous.
Can we have some pics especially the silk teddy xxxx :)

Forgot to say when they get to a certain age they sort of get too old for doing it and live together but dont have babies and live fine. Again you would need to check on the age, but quite old.
Also if they do breed after a year and havent had babies it can kill them trying to give birth. So you need to check their ages and if they have had any babies. x Hope this helps a little i will look again in my book and update any more info.xx

Hello found this for you

Breeding Your Guinea Pigs:

Guinea pigs are rather easy to sex. If you pinch or squeeze the genital area the penis will extrude in young males. Adult males are quite obviously male. When I kept cavies, I was taught that female guinea pigs are fertile at as young as two months of age (55-70 days)! And that males mature slightly later. My favorite pocket pet husbandry book The UFAW Handbook also gives the same ages for puberty (fertility). You can read more about guinea pig pregnancy problems in another article.

However, a reader recently informed me that guinea pig females can become pregnant as early as three weeks of age and that males can be fertile as early as four weeks of age. I never separated males from females at so young an age and I have never observed pregnancies occurring so young but apparently this might happen. So play it safe and separate the males babies from the female babies as soon as you can determine their sex.

Female guinea pigs have estrus or fertile periods just after giving birth and periodically throughout the year. The length of their estrus cycle is sixteen and one-half days. They are fertile for 6-11 hours, usually beginning in the evening. They come into heat again shortly after birthing. Although female pigs are fertile at two months of age or earlier, they should not be breed until they are 4-5 month old and weigh a little over a pound. The male used should be about double her age to insure potency.

A bigger problem is breeding female guinea pigs for the first time when they are too old. At 7-12 month of age the female’s pelvic bones fuse, making natural delivery next to impossible. So guinea pigs of this age that are having a first litter often need it delivered by cesarean section (dystocia). Baby pigs arrive after a pregnancy of 60-70 days. They are precocious, that is, they arrive fully developed. Babies suckle their mothers for about three weeks (180gms) and then are able to eat the same foods as their parents. Litter size ranges between one and eight. Be sure to handle the babies often at this age so that they become tame.

peppa and georgie wrote:
Hello found this for you

Breeding Your Guinea Pigs:

Guinea pigs are rather easy to sex. If you pinch or squeeze the genital area the penis will extrude in young males. Adult males are quite obviously male. When I kept cavies, I was taught that female guinea pigs are fertile at as young as two months of age (55-70 days)! And that males mature slightly later. My favorite pocket pet husbandry book The UFAW Handbook also gives the same ages for puberty (fertility). You can read more about guinea pig pregnancy problems in another article.

However, a reader recently informed me that guinea pig females can become pregnant as early as three weeks of age and that males can be fertile as early as four weeks of age. I never separated males from females at so young an age and I have never observed pregnancies occurring so young but apparently this might happen. So play it safe and separate the males babies from the female babies as soon as you can determine their sex.

Female guinea pigs have estrus or fertile periods just after giving birth and periodically throughout the year. The length of their estrus cycle is sixteen and one-half days. They are fertile for 6-11 hours, usually beginning in the evening. They come into heat again shortly after birthing. Although female pigs are fertile at two months of age or earlier, they should not be breed until they are 4-5 month old and weigh a little over a pound. The male used should be about double her age to insure potency.

A bigger problem is breeding female guinea pigs for the first time when they are too old. At 7-12 month of age the female’s pelvic bones fuse, making natural delivery next to impossible. So guinea pigs of this age that are having a first litter often need it delivered by cesarean section (dystocia). Baby pigs arrive after a pregnancy of 60-70 days. They are precocious, that is, they arrive fully developed. Babies suckle their mothers for about three weeks (180gms) and then are able to eat the same foods as their parents. Litter size ranges between one and eight. Be sure to handle the babies often at this age so that they become tame.
I would sure like to know where this information came from because it is filled with many incorrect facts.

To sex a baby pig, a male will look like an i and a female will look more like a Y. To me, a male looks more like a donut with a dot in the middle. You can gentle push on the penis to check that way, but don't squeeze or pinch. Females can and do become pregnant at 3-4 weeks (I bought a 4 week old that had babies exactly 10 weeks later). Since babies can be sexed at birth, it is best to separate the males when they are 3-4 weeks, not when you can tell the sex of the baby.

The estrus cycle is about every sixteen days, year round. They are in heat for about two days. In that time, the sow may or may not breed. Sows can be very choosy. I've had a couple that took 4-5 months before they accepted the boar. Or the boar may just be shy. With practice you can tell when a sow is in heat. There is a mucus plug that blocks the opening unless the sow is in heat. After birth, the sow comes in to heat about 2-3 hours after birth for about 12 hours. She can be rebred by the boar so he should be removed from the cage before the birth.

The beginning breeding age is more or less correct, except every breeder has their own ideal age to breed the sow. The 7-12 month age is not a proven fact. Many experienced breeders sometimes wait until the sow is over 12 months to breed her for the first time, especially if they are showing her. The pelvic bones don't actually fuse, but the ligaments may not stretch as easily, therefore causing a harder birth. I have waited until sows were just under one year old to breed for the first time with no problems (meaning they gave birth after 12 months of age).

Babies are born as little miniatures of the parents. They begin to eat and drink right away, but nurse for approximately 3 weeks. They can nurse longer and is recommended if a baby is on the small side.

To add, cavies don't produce their own vit C, so they need a good source from their food. Pellets are not a good source as the vit C looses it's potency the older the pellets are.

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
I just got a Peruvian Boar & 3 Smooth Coat Sows. I got the boar and the sow from a friend of mine who owns a pet store. The other 2 I picked up today at an auction.

First the one female I got today, her "parts" are swollen and I put her in the pen with the other 2 pigs and the male went NUTS! He was prancing around, taking long steps and making a woodpecker noise lol So she has to be starting or ending her heat. Because he mounts her and she snaps at him :|

The main reason I posted this is does she sound like she is in heat lol

My Peruvian Boar is like an agouti with chocolatie greyish steaks coming through him.

My REW sow is a Silky Teddy or something like that, she is cute ;]

And the other 2, one is black and white with a little bit of tan by it's mouth and the other is tan and white, and totally unpredictable lol

Well just give me any advice on breeding and what not :]
Anytime you put a male in with females, or other males, he will purr, strut and attempt to mate, or in the case of other males, dominate. So that behavior does not mean the sow is in heat. Sows also like to "get to know" her mate. Bringing two groups of cavies together like that, without a quarantine period, is risky. I would be especially concerned since two came from an auction.

I am curious as to your breeding goals since you have different breeds, and don't seem to know what all the breeds are. Are you just after crossbred pets?

peppa and georgie wrote:
SORRY just trying to help, just googled it. I have a bit of a talent for finding incorrect info xx

It is quite all right! Thank you I asked for help and that is just what you did ;)

& Cafeduck thanks for the info, and no a lady who I know who has bred alot of high quality Guinea Pigs, she is a very well known Guinea pig showing/breeding person here in Ontario, told me if I breed 2 different pigs I have a great chance that the babies will be either smooth or long coat. She also said depending on the color they can still be shown

peppa and georgie wrote:
SORRY just trying to help, just googled it. I have a bit of a talent for finding incorrect info xx
Not really your fault. There is just a lot of misinformation out there. I'm sorry if I came across as mad or anything. I really wasn't trying to.:)

For some decent articles on cavies, go to acbaonline.com. It is the cavy version of the ARBA.

I havetwo guinea pigs at the moment, and have studied and learnt alot about them over the past years. I wanted to know all I could, and found so much useful information from two main sites -

- www.cavycompendium.com

- www.cavycages.com

There is alot of great information on here.

I'm just curious, are you breeding for fun, showing or anything in particular? I know for certain there are hundreds of amazing pets being euthanized everyday because people are just breeding for no reason - Leaving the babies with no home to go to, pet shops for potential snake food, or irresponsible places where people soon become uninterested in the pets. Have you thought about maybe adopting if you want more? Or showing the ones you have?

On a better note - Your babies sound adorable.

a lady who I know who has bred alot of high quality Guinea Pigs, she is a very well known Guinea pig showing/breeding person here in Ontario, told me if I breed 2 different pigs I have a great chance that the babies will be either smooth or long coat. She also said depending on the color they can still be shown
Well, yes and no. If the pigs are both purebred, say a silkie and an american, then all the babies will be short smooth haired. They may be showable depending on their color. If you use a silkie and an abby, then you get weird hair patterns, rosettes and semi long hair. These will never be showable.

Now if you don't know for sure that the pigs are purebred, even though they may look purebred, you get the same effect as the abby/silkie cross. Using a peruvian, which has two rosettes on it's rump, can create the same effect as the abby/silkie cross. Some babies may come out smooth, short haired, but I believe that rossettes are a dominant trait so you will get the weird hair effect. I will double check on that one with some of my friends that are more up on genetics.

So if your goal is to show pigs, it would really be better to have the same breed.

That is good to know about those sites as i have two guinea pigs still. Do you know if they have differeing personalities dependant on breeds etc or is it really down to the individual piggy.
My two boys get along but have little ticky squabbles, no fighting just sort or argueing if one gets in others way or food is around. One of them is very young and only about 8 or 9 months and the other is about 3 years.
The older one is dutch and the younger looks like a dutch mix. They are really very cute i would love to have the space to have more as they are lots of fun xx

Minilop wrote:
Cavy compendium is no lomger around, i use to be an active member of that board and the person that had the site unfortunately shut it down for who knows what reason.

Cavy cages is a completely ANTI breeding site and you will find no information about breeding what so ever on thier but there is alot of information about guinea pigs in general on that site for you too check out.

Cripes! The only one I like is gone. :pssd:

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
Minilop wrote:
Cavy compendium is no lomger around, i use to be an active member of that board and the person that had the site unfortunately shut it down for who knows what reason.

Cavy cages is a completely ANTI breeding site and you will find no information about breeding what so ever on thier but there is alot of information about guinea pigs in general on that site for you too check out.

cafeduck1 wrote:
Some babies may come out smooth, short haired, but I believe that rosettes are a dominant trait so you will get the weird hair effect. I will double check on that one with some of my friends that are more up on genetics.
This is basically what he said, so it wouldn't be a good idea to cross a peruvian with a short hair if you want to show. Someone else said there may be a possibility of getting a ridgeback, which is a showable breed in Canada. Good luck with your babies whichever way you choose to breed. I think baby pigs are just adorable.

I'd like to add that the cavycages website also has a lot of people on there that are very limited in their ideas on cavy care. It is their way and only their way. Another site, that has excellent medical and care information is GuineaLynx. However it is affiliated with cavycages so it's forums are very antibreeding.

Back