Cats Outside on a Line

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nela

Reaction score
We have two cats. Neither are allowed outside. It's a personal preference really. We just cannot stand the thought of them getting into fights, crossing roads, etc.

However, I do feel badly because I love to sit outside a lot. Houdina loves Maybelle and is always sitting at the door watching her. Now, I am sitting outside with the piggies as well and Houdina is at the screen door crying like crazy. I would love to let them out but they MUST stay in the yard.

Jeff and I thought we could attach a cable leash which would run from one end of the yard to the other and have them in a harness, attached to the line. We would be with them whilst they'd be in their harnesses.

It's far from perfect but at least they could be with us and enjoy the sun. Maybe chase a few bugs, play with Maybelle, etc.

What do you guys think of it?

My only concern would be if they get to enjoying out side they may start bolting for any open door. My cats also cry at the door/window when we sit outside, but they are both afraid to be out if we try taking them out, so I'm not sure.

Be very careful...even a harness a cat can get loose. We had that happen with ours. We used to take him out on a harness all the time...there was a loud noise outside of yard and he flew backwards out of the harness (and it was tight). Luckily he just slammed himself flat into the ground and didn't take off running. Cats can do weird things when scared and make themselves fit in spots they normally wouldn't which is the only thing we could figure happened to get him out of it.

Thanks. We will try it anyway but we'll make sure to take extra precautions. We tried it today actually. She was quite scared though so mainly sat on the chair with us. :)

I wouldn't suggest having your cat in a harness outside, we did that once with one of our cats, and he almost choked to death 0.o Also, once you let them out, that's all they want to do..My dad accidentally let the cat out twice, and now she thinks she can go out. (She's been declawed so that is not an option for her.)

I used to have two cats, Fritz and Tasha (both have since left for the bridge). Fritz was an indoor/outdoor cat I got from a neighbor many many years ago. When I took him in I tried to convert him to be an indoor cat only, but I gotta say, he was stubborn and he eventually won that fight. All the pheromone sprays in the world wouldn't stop him when he wanted OUT; and to show his displeasure he would urinate anywhere, and everywhere.

When I moved from an apartment into my current home, I decided to try to meet Fritz halfway by putting him on a harness and lead in the backyard. Whenever I did so I stayed out there with him; after all, cats are notorious at getting tangled and ensnarled in just about everything. They can get tangled up even where nothing else exists...a single twig poking up from the soil will surely serve to cause a leash jamb-up of epic proportions. I swear they do this on purpose, too; sort of a "Do you see THIS?!! I'm stuck again, and it's all because of YOU!" protest.

Anyway, Fritz took to his harness well, but it did nothing to curb the yearnings within him to roam free, the big grey lion who wanted nothing more than to prowl his 'hood. As soon as he was back in the house after a couple of hours outside on his harness, he'd return to the door once more, plaintively demanding his release from the master's dungeon RIGHT NOW! And if I didn't comply, I was once again greeted with various discoveries of urine-scented objects (clothing included) throughout the home.

Tasha, on the other hand, was a little calico kitten who'd originally been found wandering in a field, in the middle of a rainstorm, starving, covered in fleas, soaked to the bone, and terrified. She took to homelife instantly, and when I moved to my house she wanted nothing to do with the great outdoors. Her idea of imitating a great patchquilt-colored lioness was to splay her tiny body across the nearest sunspot, either in a window or on the living room floor. I had to literally cajole and entice her to step foot outside into the great backyard, and while she eventually did learn to come outside with me on hazy, laidback summer days, she was never fully keen on it, adn would head back for the safety of the house within 10-20 minutes or so. She never needed a harness, obviously; for her, she was a princess whose realm didn't involve dirt between the toesies or flies landing on her windblown coat.

So I'd say it all depends upon the cat, and the cat's nature. Yes, taking a cat who has the desire to go outside runs the risk of creating a feline monster, one who YOWLS and protests and demands to get his (or her) way once indoors again; or the cat might just start to enjoy the little forays outside and not crave any more than that which he is given. Or he may just be too scaredy-cat to enjoy it at all. You'll only be able to tell once you've tried. And yes, of course, never leave a cat unattended on a harness (as you already know, I'm sure), because they can get themselves into trouble in the blink of a battycat eye. ;)

*P.S. Just wanted to share with you what my Fritz managed to do the first time I ever tied him outdoors on a harness. There was a big old laundry post at the back of the yard, a huge thing that looked as if it had spent it's youth working as one of those old hydro poles. The previous home owner had used it to hang his laundry from, and the line running from the post to the side of the house was still there. So that's what I attached Fritz's lead to; thinking he could run the length of the yard with that setup. I hooked it up, then got a lawnchair and sat back to enjoy a book while Fritz explored. He was thoroughly enjoying the spectacle a few feet away of a bird feeder I'd hung for the local sparrows and cardinals; certain, as I could tell by the straining of his lead, that I'd done so for his sole pleasure...nature's potpourri of yummy temptations right there for him to observe.

About half an hour later my reading was disturbed by a most ungodly *CRACK*...I looked up just in time to see the post, obviously giving up on it's struggle to remain functioning, come slowly crashing to the ground...and just ahead of it I saw a glimpse of a huge grey blur go flying ahead of it. The post careened and tilted, then with an ear-splitting *WHUMP* fell to the ground. I dropped my book and ran, fearing the worst...a grey crushed kitty lying beneath the pole's now-prostrate corpse...but (thank the KittyGod above!) Fritz had managed to make it to a back step, just a foot or so away. Bigger eyes on a cat you'll never see, let me tell you (or on a human either); but to this day no one in my family believes me when I tell the story of how Fritz the cat managed to pull down a 20-foot post all on his own, in his stubborn attempt to catch a bird. :biggrin2:

LOL @ Fritz!!! Omg that must have been quite something!

We are letting Houdina out with us on the line for now. I am not letting Baloo out though because he's the type to PANIC badly if something spooks him so I've decided against it. Houdina on the other hand, is a lot more controllable and doesn't react the same way to fear at all.

I insisted the line be proper cable wire so it's that metal wire covered in rubber?Looks like thisand has that smooth rubbery finish:

http://www.oregoncaliforniasupply.com/wire-rope-4b.jpg

We also used something like these locking things:

http://www.binbin.net/photos/petzl-charlet/pet/petzl-charlet-ok-screw-lock-karabiner-t.png

These are carabiners but ours aren't. They cannot be depressed, only screwed so it really cannot come apart unless not screwed properly. :)

So far the harness doesn't seem to come out of place at all so that is going well. I thought of doing the same as I do with the bunnies, as in putting a shirt over it to keep it nice and snug but I figure it'd be too much so I'm leaving it as is right now.

Anyway, Houdina seemed pretty satisfied with just sitting on the chair beside us. She was pretty scared. She's an obedient cat but does get herself in sticky situations so she is definitely one I keep an eye on. Lol. She normally asks to go back inside after about 20-30mins or so anyway so I think she 'likes' it but doesn't 'love it' which makes me happy. Lol. She did enjoy being able to chase a fly though. She's not asking to go out but when she went in and we were still sitting outside, after ashort nap, she wanted to come out again so we let her out. :)

Jeff and I both insist on sitting right there with her though so she will never be unattended. We're setting the boundaries right away so she knows that she is not allowed up on the fence. (Just don't want her trying to jump down as I'm not sure the line is long enough) So far, she hasn't been 'testing' the boundaries so that is good.

It's all a test right now so we'll see how it goes and how we all really feel about it as time goes. If it stays like this, I think we'll be good to keep at it though. :)Thank you for sharing Bassetluv, it made me smile and brought some comfort!

Those kitty enclosures are impressive! I tried talking my sister into building something similar to the first one for her Quaker parrot, as he loves to be outdoors in the warm weather, but only has a small cage to sit in when she takes him out on her deck. I love that idea for cats. :)

The first examle they have for a cat enclosure is what I would love to build for my cats one day, when I have a house on an acreage and have moeny to spend on it :)

Latest posts

Back