Cats and rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FelipesMommy

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping someone can help. I volunteer with the local animal shelter and am considering fostering a kitten for a short period of time (2-3 weeks) to try it out. I have not fostered before and don't have a ton of experience with cats (dogs and rabbits, yes). My guy Felipe is about 9 months old and neutered, he is very laid back and does well visiting my parents' Yorkie. No problems there, he doesn't pay much attention to her and allows her to lick him and such. He is generally free roam when I am home and in a cage/run combo when I'm not. The kitten could be kept in a separate space during the day, I wouldn't leave them alone together. Any advice? How have your rabbits done with kittens? Anything I should look for in the particular kitten? Personality traits etc.?

Can't say on the personality traits. But generally cats will distinguish between pet rabbits and wild (to be hunted) ones. Especially if you have a young kitten and an adult rabbit it should be easier for the rabbit to assert itself if required! I have had cats that totally ignore my rabbits, years ago even had one that would get in the run and go to sleep with the bun (and the same cat would go out hunting and catch/kill/eat wild ones)
I guess it's more luck than judgement. However, I would never trust a cat 100% not to ignore its natural instincts ever!

I have 2 buns and a cat; bun came first then the kitten then the malebuns girlfriend bun; allhave free run in my home. I think you have to take into consideration if the bun is bigger, if he/she feels like the alpha-male and then be there to watch any interaction between the 2 as kittens claws are VERY sharp - and quick swap on the nose of a bun can cause a nasty infectionto a bun.

That being said my buns and kitten (she's very small, was a feral kitten and is 2 now) they get along very well; but I do have separate "territories" for each in my home so they have a space to "get away from each other" when they feel the need.

It can work really easily, but just keep a watchful eye...

Good luck and hope to hear how it goes.

My rabbit and cat get along super well and both are free range, it started off a little rocky my rabbit ran under the bed and hid for a couple days but his natural curiosity got the best of him and he came to find out what this cat thing was all about. For the first few week I kept the separated because our cat was a few months old when we got him. At first the cat did try to pounce the bunny trying to play but anytime he did I stopped him and said "No" and he quickly learned the rabbit was his equal and now they keep each other company while I am not home.
001.jpg

Both my cats can be trusted with any small animal. They have both been raised with them since they were only weeks old. However, like you already know, supervision is a must. Kitten claws are oh so pointy and that is really important to keep an eye out for. If you know how, you should trim them before letting them interact. On the other hand, a rabbit can definitely defend itself if it wants and can deliver a powerful bite so you'd have to look out for the kitten as well. I think it's great to have the kitten grow up with other animals though :biggrin2:I'm sure the kitten would love to be fostered by you.

Oh and another thing, you might want to keep an eye out to be sure the rabbit doesn't eat any cat litter if he can access the area :)

As mentioned before I would be careful of kitten claws. Cat scratches can be fairly painful and hard on us humans and if the bunny gets hurt and fights back they can be very effective.

It depends on the cat, the rabbit, and but I think the most important thing is whether they have been brought up around eachother, to respect one another. My dogs, cats and rabbits get on very well. They all grew up together- the rabbits were first, so the dogs and and cats when they were pups and kittens were smaller than the rabbits and have always known them, so it's pretty boring for them; it's all like....oh there's the rabbit again. I'll get back to my chew toy. Maybe a few licks. Then oh there's something much more interesting over here.
The cats sometimes groom the rabbits, the buns (especially benji) will curl up next to our eldest dog, as those two were the only two in the house fpr a while before we got the cats, other dogs, and Pippin (other rabbit). Pippin (logically) is more nervous around the cats and dogs because we had a few of them before he came into our family, so he is quite skittish around them and doesn't enjoy their company. So I don't ever really put him in a situation where he has to be near them, as there is no point because the 'bunny room' is totally separate from the dogs (with a stairgate) and the cats never really go in there.

As it's a kitten you are wanting to foster, I imagine it should be fine. It will be smaller than the rabbit and you can train him/her to respect the rabbit etc. They may become the best of friends!!!

What I will say is always supervise any interaction between them just in case. Make sure you are there when you let them be together. I would say if they don't enjoy eachother's company then just keep them apart.

Jen

Latest posts

Back