Cat scratch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! Today my bunny randomly attacked our cat. In defense the cat swung at the bunny but I didn't see if he touched her with his paw. The cat's claws were trimmed 2 weeks ago they aren't that long but not freshly trimmed. I checked her all over multiple times and I can't find any scratches. It happened in the morning so about 12 hours ago and I'm not seeing anything worrying. Should I call the vet and request to put her on Baytril or is it not an emergency unless I notice something off? She has a lot of tummy issues and she just recovered from stasis a couple of days ago so I'm afraid to put her on antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.

She has a vet appointment on Monday to check for ear mites because she started scratching her ear and shake her head quite often and aggressively a couple of days ago after fresh hay got delivered so I could maybe bring this up with the vet then?

If it was a potential bite, I would say for sure get your bun checked immediately as an emergency, due to the potential danger. But a potential scratch where you aren't sure and can't find any broken skin, it's your call. But if your bun starts showing signs of acting unwell, having reduced appetite, etc, definitely get your bun seen immediately as an emergency. If in doubt, call or email the vet office for advice. Maybe they can get you in before Monday, to check for scratches and the ear issue.

If it was a potential bite, I would say for sure get your bun checked immediately as an emergency, due to the potential danger. But a potential scratch where you aren't sure and can't find any broken skin, it's your call. But if your bun starts showing signs of acting unwell, having reduced appetite, etc, definitely get your bun seen immediately as an emergency. If in doubt, call or email the vet office for advice. Maybe they can get you in before Monday, to check for scratches and the ear issue.
I called the vet and she said to just watch her and only bring her in if I notice anything worrying, if she stops eating, lethargy etc because she doesn't want to risk another episode of stasis or worse if there's no obvious injury. I watched her all day today and she's been ok. I'm learning to be a bit less paranoid to avoid unnecessary stress for her because it's not helping most of the time but it's hard. Bunnies are too fragile. 😭

Back