Cat is Fascinated with the Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
Now I am going to say up front that this cat (Callie)used to attack any animal; she's a pet that has always needed to be the only pet in the household. She used to be my cat, until my family got a puppy, and well, she ended up attacking our puppy. That's when my grandparents decided to take her in.

I don't know whether or not if it's her old age that has made her tame, or if she just has a new interest in rabbits? Who knows...I'm sitting here typing this and Callie is laying next to the rabbit pen. Wrangler is scared/cautious of all animals that are non-rabbits; Aura on the otherhand will approach any animal whatsoever.

Well wait, here I thought we were having a sweet moment and Aura came right back up to Callie, and Callie stuck her paw through the pen (gently), but I guess Aura got too close and Callie hissed at her and walked out of the room.

I would never allow Callie to be alone with the rabbits obviously, but if she is being sweet, I don't know why they can't be in the presence of one another. I don't know if she will be back to visit the buns after the above incident.

If you watch them closely at first, and Wrangler and Aura don't seem scared or upset, it's fine for them to be together with supervision. Remember, though, that a cat bite can easily kill a bunny; it can even send a human to the hospital! If either gets bitten, it requires an emergency vet visit and that may not even save them. I have seen more than one bunny die from a cat bite on this forum, usually within 48 hours. Scratches can be deadly too. I would take it very slowly. Territory for cats is also an issue that you have to work out, something I don't know much about, so introducing them may be different form introducing one bunny to another.

I guess you will see what Callie feels inspired to do :)
If you make sure her nails are trimmed well/or if she has soft paws on, the odds of anybunny getting hurt goes down a bit.
Some cats bat at things when they play, or are saying "go away", so it's best to keep the nails down.

Who knows? You may be witnessing the beginnings of a beautiful friendship:)

My cat (ironically enough named Callie) absolutely loves Bentley. At first she might sort of paw at her (she doesn't have any claws) and then she'll start licking Bentley. Its super cute :biggrin2:

I have 4 cats and all but my oldest who is too old for such none sense, like to play with my bunny. They chase each other around the house all the time and wrestle. Sometimes I think bunny wins cause the cats will all run to the top of the cat tree where he can't reach.

Latest posts

Back