Cat found another nest..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you have a couple eastern cottontails there. The resounding opinion is that you should get those little guys back to their nest - but looks like that isn't possible for you.

I found my cottontail when he was still a little too young for solids too, and had great success with the same formula you are using, except I used condensed milk instead of pedialyte. From what I know, these guys get a lot of their digestion bacteria from the mothers milk, so hopefully that doesn't become a problem for you.

Careful with peroxide in wounds (in case any more injuries arise). It doesn't actually hurt for surface wounds, but is a lousy antiseptic in general. I've read a lot of folks that recommend betadine (povidone iodine), and my vet +1'd that. A diluted mixture down to 2.5% is easier on bunny tissues, and can be lightly put directly into wound to disinfect. Careful though - THIS stuff stings a bit.

Hopefully you don't need to test it out - good luck with your little friends.

I've had them for about two weeks now. They're fully furred, eyes and ears open, and both are eating like crazy. They've been trying really hard to get out of the box so maybe its time to let them go? They haven't started eating greens yet though. I'm supposed to wait until 3 weeks to introduce them right?

Wow, thats great!! Its really hard to raise bunnies without a mother rabbit; its great that they survived! Now, I think they're sort of passed that stage where they could still die, now they are safer! Congrats!! :thumbup:pink iris:

Latest posts

Back