Cat and a rabbit friends?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypusstar

Reaction score
My cat Hex is 6 years old, he has hated every animal ive brought home lol. But i'm guessing Ceaser has won him over, maybe its because hes small, fluffy? I'm hoping he actually likes him and doesnt think of him as prey XD

He'll play with ceaser, groom him, it almost looks like hes looking over a kitten. Sometimes i have to tell him to play nice, he tends to wanna pounce on Ceaser, but Ceaser seems to like it, he binkies away and runs right back. I took a few pictures and a video =3 these two seem inseperateble (sp?)

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/brgSqS5XS8k&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

312imgz.jpg
21vepg.jpg

Cats & Rabbits

Cats and rabbits can become great friends. Of all the interspecies relationships,the cat - rabbit friendship seems to be the easiest to introduce and the most considerable in attachment. Some rabbits seem to prefer the company of a cat to the company of one of thier own kind.

A common scenario is the rabbit that bosses the cat around. Unless your cat is quite a bit smaller than your rabbit, or unless your rabbit is truly nasty, let the two of them work it out on thier own without undue intervention.

Cats are predators and therefore may view the rabbit as their prey. this is especially true if the cat is quite a bit larger than the rabbit. Take this into consideration when you are contemplating adopting a animal. "Pets of equal size have a better chance of getting along", but this is not the rule; many pets of different sizes have become great friends.

The cat may chase the rabbit, and this can have terrible consequences if the rabbit gets frightened. If this is the case, read the "Dogs & Rabbits" section, and use the same strategy for introducing animals under the cicumstances of being protected by the cage. This may be necessary if your rabbit is timid and shy and your cat is bossy.

Before making physical introductions, trim the nails of both animals to lessen the chance of injury. Have one person hold the rabbit, you hold the cat. (wear long sleeves and pants,if your animals get scared and try to get away, you may be scratched). You can have each on a halter and leash, if you feel they need to be controlled. the lead is not a correctional tool, use it only if you need to seperate the animals. Let the animals smell each other while thet are being held. If all is going well, let them down to interact. They may begin to play together. Cats and rabbits often play chase, hide-and-seek, and follow the leader. If they are engaged in a chase game, decide if it looks friendly or if intervention is necessary. If they are taking turns chasing, it is a game, if one looks frightened, stop them and sperate them for awhile.

Some cats and rabbits share such deep friendships that they will sleep together, curled up in the rabbit cage or a cozy corner. If your pets are this bonded, you can leave them together unattended. They have definitely become loyal companions.

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/1451/bunpets2.html

- - - - - - -

BTW, I have never seen nor heard of any aggression of any kind between rabbits and cats, either here at home or even in as backyard at night with feral cats and some stray bunnies (who were later rescued).

I know what you mean. My older cat Krazy hated it when we brought home a kitten. He would beat the kitten up constantly so when we got our rabbit we were worried and were very careful. Well, the exact opposite happened. Krazy took an immediate liking to Daisy and like your cat, Krazy constantly is grooming her. Daisy now comes to expect it. When she sees him sitting on the couch, she goes hopping over there and lays down next to him and closes her eyes and he right away starts licking her head. We still don't leave the room with both of them out but it is nice to see Krazy and Daisy being friends.

yeah i dont leave the room if they're playing together, as much as i love my cat i dont trust him with other animals that are smaller then him XD
not saying ceaser wouldnt try to hurt the cat. i just thought it was weird how my cat who gets very jealous very easy around other animals could just fall in love with ceaser. my mom and me are still in shock by it lol

When I got Sophie he was more interested in my cat and wasn't afraid. My cat got along with Soph but I slowly introduced them and then, I had to laugh, they would besitting on the kitchen chair together like yours. Even with my other bunny she was fine, they would chase and play hide and seek. The bunnies loved to lay down next to her.

Flash143.jpg

with Flash

tt32.jpg

with Sophie

st06.jpg

ST9.jpg

lol its weird how the animals you would less likely think would bond would end up being the best of friends =P those are really cute pictures XD if anyone else has weird bunny animal friend combos please post them! =D

awwwe very cute pictures! I love the photo of the cat and the rabbit sitting on the back of the couch together... they're looking at the camera like "what are you looking at?"

I wonder whether a cat and a rabbit know that they are different species of animals...

Very cute pictures. Cats and rabbits can become very good friends, we have a black cat named Angel that likes the company of our dogs and rabbits far more than that of our other two cats.

Thanks...It is cute to see how my cat plays and loves being around a bunny. I always get that look when I tell people that my cat and then bunnies all get along.

you want to talk about an odd pairing... my cat and rabbit get along so well that my rabbit actually tries to get kinky with the cats....i actualy joined this site because it freaked me out and i was looking for answers. Now we laugh about it and just let them go nuts... cats make good friends for rabbits imo

Latest posts

Back