Castration failed? ? ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lhucky

Reaction score
I have no idea where to put my concerns...

Anyways, my 2 castrated bunnies that are paired with unspayed bunnies got litters, how was that even possible?

Thor has been castrated exactly a year ago, but his mate gave birth last month and had another litters few days ago.

Bugsy about 6 months ago, but his partner also just gave birth yesterday.

We have 6, almost 3 month old bunnies that are still living with their mom. And sometimes play with our 2 unspayed bunnies that gave birth recently. Can a bunny that young cause the litters?

I read that most domestic rabbits are sexually mature at 4 months and 3 months is pretty close that.....maybe? I'm no professional though

Really? We're not that expert in determining sexes at a very young age, so we mainly rely on their testicles. it's just this week that we see their testicles....

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/spay.html

This says 3-8 months sexual maturity

I found a good way to determine the sex is that the genitals will be shaped like (|) for a doe with a slit and for a buck (o) with a general rounder smaller look. But I only have does (I think ones still really young) so I haven't gotten close looks at any bucks. Just a tip if you want to try to sex them besides looking for testicles.

Last edited:
Have you checked your castrated bucks to make sure their testicles are gone? Check for that first, and if their testicles are shrunk up and gone, I would say that it is possible it is your young males that became fertile. They usually aren't fertile until after 3 months, but it can sometimes happen earlier.

Did YOU take them to get castrated? Or purchase them that way? If the latter, I would think the people lied to you. Not surprising yo make a sale. And yes, I would think the 3 month olds could have a litter, depends on the breed tho

youngest successful litter is 11 weeks which means being bred at 7 weeks. Bunnies mature at different rates. Learning how to sex them properly is important. Just takes a bit of research.

Boys... look like a burrito (with or without a penis)
Girls.... look like a taco, with thin red lines either side of the vent.

Once you are experienced you can sex them at one day old.

Get those three month old kits OUT from with their moms.
Get those females spayed if you don't want more babies as something funky is going on. I"d be taking them to a different vet.

On an unrelated note, this is the first I've seen of another Bugsy. My boy came with his name and it suits him nicely.

Latest posts

Back