Castrating my bunny, what to think about?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hey, I'm going to castrate my buck so I can get a friend to him and also make him 100% litter trained. A rabbit specialized veterinary will do the castration which many rabbits owner in my country recommend.

I wondering what I should do before the castrating and after, I'm going to buy critical care so if he don't feel like eating I can feed him and he'll be locked in the cage during the healing time which it's 8 sq ft. I don't have space for an play pen or should I let him free roam like he always do. I live in a tiny aparment for students.

There is nothing special to do before neutering. Try not to stress too much even if it's not easy ^^.
Afterwards, I always let my rabbits roam like normal. First, I think changing habits is never a good thing because it stresses the rabbit. Then, moving around helps to stimulate the guts to prevent stasis. Third, if you confine your rabbit he will get bored more easily and, with no distraction, there are more chances he will eat his stitches. Generally, males recover very nicely from neuter as long as you give metacam for a few days to avoid pain. Mine were always eating and acting normal a few hours after the surgery (serious vets will operate early in the morning and keep the rabbit until late afternoon to make sure they are eating and fine before giving them back to the owner). Keep an eye on him to make sure he isn't licking the wound excessively. There should be no need for critical care, but offer a lot of different things (all sort of wet vegetables, especially greens, pellets, lots of hay) to encourage him to eat when he comes back from the surgery.

There is nothing special to do before neutering. Try not to stress too much even if it's not easy ^^.
Afterwards, I always let my rabbits roam like normal. First, I think changing habits is never a good thing because it stresses the rabbit. Then, moving around helps to stimulate the guts to prevent stasis. Third, if you confine your rabbit he will get bored more easily and, with no distraction, there are more chances he will eat his stitches. Generally, males recover very nicely from neuter as long as you give metacam for a few days to avoid pain. Mine were always eating and acting normal a few hours after the surgery (serious vets will operate early in the morning and keep the rabbit until late afternoon to make sure they are eating and fine before giving them back to the owner). Keep an eye on him to make sure he isn't licking the wound excessively. There should be no need for critical care, but offer a lot of different things (all sort of wet vegetables, especially greens, pellets, lots of hay) to encourage him to eat when he comes back from the surgery.

Thanks, but I'm also worrying if I let him free roam as he always does he will manage to get hurt. He have fallen from many fail attempts to jump up to the bed or being a daredevil trying to jump to new things, he's the stubborn rabbit who never gives up. So will all the jumping around hurt him, the bed it's around 2,6 ft up. Will his daredevil jumping make him get hurt while being neutering or it's it safe. He love jumping up on stuff and finding new way to get even higher up, even found him in my bookshelf one time he had climbed up to 4-5 feet don't know how he does it.

Aha, maybe I should do that. I bet he will be mad at me after I neutered him.

Latest posts

Back