castor rex?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheridan

Reaction score
HI,

Sorry I dont usually post here but someone has asked me if my bunnies are castor rexes. I dont have a clue what the castor partmeans and was hoping someone could help me? I know they are standard rexes at 5 months old

DSC00710r.jpg

ANy advice would be greatly appreciated!!

1 more question? Are they standard rexes? I think they are but just wanted to check. they weighed about 4lb at about 4months old.

Have they continued to gain weight? I haven't had standard Rex in a lot of years, but my Mini Rex don't typically get above four pounds at all. Four pounds is pretty much the wieght limit for them, show wise, anyway.

they have definately gained weight continuously since I got them. I tend not to notice as much but people tell me they have. They have definately grown in length!

sheridan wrote:
1 more question? Are they standard rexes? I think they are but just wanted to check. they weighed about 4lb at about 4months old.
At 4 months old... Standards would be weighing more than 4 pounds.

My smallest Rex (1/2 Mini Rex) that I have at4 1/2 months old is 5 1/2 pounds, whereas her sister is already 6 pounds 14 ounces.

My Mini's though (especially my BUD's & BUB's) could weigh in at 4 pounds by 4 months... those however would be more of brood stock since they would have a limited showing timeframe before going over maximum weight limits.

I believe you have aMini Rex... just not a "typical" show bodied one though.

~Sunshine

I tried to weigh Furby just now and it was saying 5lb. Could be a mini rex. Is there no way that I could be sure? My vet hasnt had any real experience with rexes so he wouldnt know...

Mini Rex carry the dwarfing gene so it is most likely that you have Mini Rex that do not carry it. They are called false dwarfs. They are larger than the standard for the breed. However, this doesn't make them any less Mini Rex.

Sharon

sheridan wrote:
I tried to weigh Furby just now and it was saying 5lb. Could be a mini rex. Is there no way that I could be sure? My vet hasnt had any real experience with rexes so he wouldnt know...
I would suggest waiting until they are at least 6 months old - then reweigh them.

If they are 7 pounds or more at that age - they're Standard Rex... If they're 6 pounds or less - Mini Rex.

I know waiting can be torture...lol... but they're just a bit too young to determine for sure.

~Sunshine

The only reason I am really bothered is for the insurance. Otherwise as long as they remain as sweet as they are I am happy!

But it still would be good to know..... They are now about 5.5 months old and still growing...

Standard Rex in the UK average slightly smaller than our Standard Rex here in the US. Yours are most likely Standards as you originally mentioned.

Pam

Cool thanks Pamnock. Maybe I should have looked into types of rabbits before I bought these 2. But they really were the sweetest and most friendly rabbits ever!!:hug:

I have a castor colored standard rex too! Her name is Kahlua. Arent they just the sweetest bunnies? :) Your babies are gorgeous.

Thanks very much. sorry for the late reply. I never noticed it had been updated. Rexes are sooo sweet. And when you are petting them it feels like your hand is sinking into them. Have you got any piccies of yours?:colors:

Totally. I didnt even know anything about rexes or that they were popular. Furby and Ellie were just sooo friendly and tame and lovely. I wasnt even set up for them. I had already looked so went out and bought everything so that I could have these 2!!

man sheridan i was hoping u lived in the us cuz i am wanting more rex bucks and a doe for breeding i cant find ne1 with standard rexes in wisconsin or newhere near wisconsin but tough luck i guess

Back