Casper got a sore hock?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv-bunniz

Reaction score
This morning I let CJ out and he started hopping about but sorta limping on the one leg, I picked him up turned him over and took a look at his legs, they were fine, he didnt squirm or cry when I touched them or moved them about so I thought maybe its just him, or he had a little stone in the fur on his feet, looked at his feet and he on his left foot he has a bit of a sore hock, but I have no idea how he could have got it and why it is only on one of his feet? I dont think he has had it long, so I cleaned off his feet put a bit of sudocreme on it and left it, its looking better now - not as sore now or red but I am wondering if anybody knows what could have caused it? he dosent have mesh flooring or mesh on his litter box, and he has shredder newspaper as bedding and dosent walk in his hay.

Is there any swelling at all there? Does it just look like red, irritated skin?It's hard to say why that happened, some bunnies have super sensitive feet.

I had a similar problem with my bunny Winston a few months back. I noticed he had sore hocks only on one of his feet. I was frustrated to find he had this problem as he doesn't live in a mesh cage either. His cage is a large dog crate with a flat plastic bottom with cardboard on top to cushion his feet some more. After treating his foot with neosporin and keeping his litter box extra clean, and adding a layer of fleece over the cardboard layer, they began to slowly heal. I wonder if CJ's feet are contacting the cage bottom under the newspaper? My other rabbit usually moves his bedding aside and likes to lay just on the cage bottom. I think with Winston his problem was caused by the combination of the hard surface and perhaps nails that should have been cut a little sooner. Although you probably did, you might want to check CJ's nails as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies - It didnt really look irritated just where he had been walking about on it it got sore, I put a bit more cream on it and the vet said if it got any worse to take him in but it was fine after about 4 days and he has a light covering of fuzz now, I took up the shredder news paper, put down some flat newspaper then put a covering of aspen and he seems to be better with that (And prefer it) but its gets in his fur then treads it around the house :grumpy:

Bo gets sore hocks and has one now. He's a mini-rex and that's common with them cause they don't have as much fur on their feet.

When he's like this he will put his blankies in his litterbox himself.... it's kind of funnY!

We use hay in the box, thick padding on the cage floor (fleece blankets about an inch thick) and if he hasn't done it, I put a fleece blanket in the front of his litterbox - he pees in the back..... and I can just dump the poos off. I clean the blanket at least a couple of times a week in the wash - really hot water..... so that if there is urine on it - it gets cleaned.

angieluv wrote:
How is CJ's hock? I hope improved..........

Thanks for asking, he is ok now, just a bit annoyed that I keep turning him upside down to check his feet, ;) . He has also moved into a cage with a smoother base (dog crate) and that seems to have helped :) and after reading Bo B Bunny's post I started putting more padding in (cheap value 7.5 tog duvet lol ) and it cleared up pretty quickly after that, and have since learned to keep stock of neosprin cream!

beau has a little sore on his left hock

I think that it"s because of his nails being too long

I already had a lot bedding in the area when babette was with him

Since she is gone I am noticing other small things with my other rabbits that need assistance.

Latest posts

Back