Carpet Chewing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
My girls like to chew on the carpet - it's only a short pile so there's not much for them to get hold of, but never-the-less it's something that's bad for them and bad for the carpet.

I've been saying 'No' and clapping my hands every time I catch them doing it, but they ignore me after a while. Does anyone have any tips? It's not a specific area they're chewing, so I can't just cover it over or spray it with something... Perhaps I should get a squirty bottle and squirt them whenever they do it?

You can try that, altho it may not work. My Daisy runs in a large folding pen & i put down a canvas tarp to protect the carpet, which she used to graze. Works perfectly. I roll it up when i don't want it there.

I've heard good things about the spraying technique. You've got to make sure to watch them and do it every time though!

Or you can distract them from the carpet by putting something really chewable on top. Or can you cover the edges with something? I'll bet they only chew the edges.

Actually, the edges are left alone... they like to have a go at it right in the middle! It's Heather especially who does it, though Thistle's copying her now.

Covering the floor isn't an option, as they have free run in a whole room... hopefully, once the floor-chewing is over, they'll be able to run free in my whole house...

my rabbits just grew out of the carpet chewing thing. but when they did do it i would put a grass mat or towel right under there feet, and they would start digging and chewing on that rather than the carpet.

every time i whistle in a very high pitch.. it drives copper insane, and he runs toward me like somethings after him.. he's such a cutie and loves giving kisses.

but ya whistling works most of the time for me.. other times i have to just pick him up and move him.

manda wrote:
my rabbits just grew out of the carpet chewing thing. but when they did do it i would put a grass mat or towel right under there feet, and they would start digging and chewing on that rather than the carpet.

so rabbits DO grow out of it? or just some?

My rabbits grew out of the burrowing stage but they still dig small holes and chew the ground and they still like to eat carpet when they're inside.

So it depends on the rabbit, sme may never grow out of it. And consideringall 3 of mine still dig and eat the carpet, I'd say the chances of them growing out of it are smaller than them continuing to dig.

Stop Bite!

it's made for horses (so they won't over groom and chew each other's manes) but workers wonderfuly on every animal! I sprayed a little on the wires when cagney and lacy were young & they will NEVER chew wires, I'm totally comfortable leting them wander around the appartment unsupervised because they remeber that HORRIBLE taste.

Should solve your problem quick & easy. It doesn't smell & doesn't stain.

Nes.

Why not take your bunnie(s) out for a daily walk on some grass so they can graze? After all it's an instinct and natural thing for them to be doing the digging and chewing and eating of what's underfoot.

Latest posts

Back