Carpet advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_Muller

Reaction score
We are well aware that digging, chewing and pulling is a bunny’s natural instinct and mannerism. We were also told to not stop our lionheads from chewing, digging and pulling but to provide them with something they can chew, dig and pull on otherwise. We’ve done that and it’s not working. Apparently they love our carpet.

It was suggested to us to line their cages with carpet (less shag, more berber like), providing all their normal toys, houses, etc and of course a hay-filled litter pan. What do you guys think of something like that? Is it healthy for the buns to be on carpet all day or should they only get to do their chewing, digging and pulling thing on carpet for certain times? Then I read about the poopy pearls, and I don’t know how healthy it’d be for them to have that much carpet fiber in their little bellies.

Maybe if we line half of their cages with carpet? I’d like them to have something since what we give them to play with isn’t stopping them for going at it with the carpet when they’re out running.

Thanks in advance,
Becky

Do they actually ingest the carpet? You really don't want them eating it, carpet fibers can cause a serious blockage. One of my buns is a big carpet chewer, and I put mats down on her favorite areas to pull up the carpet. She doesn't eat it though, she just makes neat little piles of the fibers. I have so many little holes in my carpet.:X

I'd put straw mats in their cages for them to chew/dig, and give them cardboard to shred and more chew toys. I actually just got some straw mats at Walmart for the bunnies, they were by the placemats and only $3.97. :)

Thanks, Kellyjade. We've had no problems with the buns actually eating the carpet - it's more of a paranoia we have. They don't seem to pull it and sit there chewing, it's more a dig, tug and run thing but I didn't know how many little individual carpet fibers are actually being ingested.

That's a great idea about the hay mats. I'll have to check those out, though I think we still might try a small match of special carpet in their cages. That will be after we stop in to the carpet store and tell the people what we are looking for and see if they have carpet that is less likely to fiber-apart. They seem to enjoy laying on it, too. I just hope they stick to the litterbox instead of peeing and pooping on the carpet slabs.

Mine likes to rip up carpet fibers too, but generally won't mess with carpet squares in his cage. Since the carpet in the cage just lies there and isn't glued down to anything, I imagine he can't get the satisfying grip that he does outside of the cage.

I would try out a square or two in the cage and see what happens. If they look like they are destroying and ripping up fibers, take it out and go with the straw mat idea or other alternative. Even if you are fairly sure that they aren't ingesting the fibers, I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

I have carpet squares in both Patch and Luna's cages for comfort because they both have wire bottoms. The only thing that bothers me is not the chewing, but the pee'ing. They both have litter pans, but prefer to "scent" each others homes up. The carpet squares have become smaller to accommodate the spots they pee the most. They seem okay with their "area rugs" although I would prefer to do the entire cage for their comfort and safety from ever getting sore hocks.

myheart

I buy shop carpet from home depot for about $20 for 5x8 area, and its extremly low rung and the bunnies have never been able to rip it up. I was able to get this cute kids pattern last time with roads and houses, and sometimes i just get plain colors.

Dec06016.jpg

I love the little children's play road design Tara! Makes the buns seem like Bunzilla stomping around the streets, crushing the town :biggrin2:

Love the pattern, Drunken Bunny!

You guys give great advice. I think we'll try some carpet AND the mats for our buns. I think they will enjoy the carpet in their cages for some extra comfort, and something to tug. We provide them with edible tiki huts made out of hay and the chew-alfalfa stuff for their teeth. They rip those to shreds in days!

Becky_Muller wrote:
We provide them with edible tiki huts made out of hay and the chew-alfalfa stuff for their teeth. They rip those to shreds in days!
I am not trying to scare you, but I think I heard some members say those tiki huts are not safe for rabbits. I hope anyone that reads this can answer or reply to this finding.

A simple thing for them to dig, chew, rip and shred is an old telephone book. :)

I have recently started using vetbed, special fluffy carpet like mats approved by vets in their cages. They are quite expensive but I assume they must be safe. I also noticed that they keep their cages much neater since I started that. I used to have litter everywhere and they used the whole cage as a litter box. Now it's mainly restricted to their litter tray. This arrangement saves loads of time and money

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with carpet chewers! I get so frustrated because mine will go into corners, or along the wall, or anywhere they think they won't be noticed, and start pulling up the fibers. Amelia particularly enjoys this, and also makes neat little piles with the fibers. Nick, however, tries to copy her but will sometimes eat the fibers. I put carpet samples in the corners Amelia gets in the most, so she can still have some fun. It is amazing how much effort she puts into it, I can actually hear the fibers being ripped up!
Their actual pen area has linoleum stuck down to plywood, with grass mats in it.

kellyjade wrote:
Do they actually ingest the carpet? You really don't want them eating it, carpet fibers can cause a serious blockage. One of my buns is a big carpet chewer, and I put mats down on her favorite areas to pull up the carpet. She doesn't eat it though, she just makes neat little piles of the fibers. I have so many little holes in my carpet.:X

I'd put straw mats in their cages for them to chew/dig, and give them cardboard to shred and more chew toys. I actually just got some straw mats at Walmart for the bunnies, they were by the placemats and only $3.97. :)

drunkenbunnyhugger wrote:
I buy shop carpet from home depot for about $20 for 5x8 area, and its extremly low rung and the bunnies have never been able to rip it up. I was able to get this cute kids pattern last time with roads and houses, and sometimes i just get plain colors.

Dec06016.jpg
Awwh that is soooo sweet!

Zamboni is our big carpet puller. He has only done it in areas thatarehidden; ie in the closet and on the side of the couch next to the wall. I have industrial mats in both of the buns cages; these are mats that stores use in the entryways; the carpet is fused into the rubber backing and I havent had any problem with them trying to pull at the mats.

The plus side of using these mats in there cages is that I can just vacuum them off and if they are really dirty I just throw them in the washer or let them soak in the bath tub and then throw them in the dryer or line dry them. Makes for a quick clean up.

I heartily disagree with the berber type. My house is done in Berber. I liked it at first but now I don't. New, its hard on your skin, but worse it tends to snag.

Would be bad for rabbits if they snag a bit and get a let or something tangled up in it.

i have carpet in the bottom of my rabbit's run. he never chews it. he chews everything else but not the carpet. i got it really cheap at Ollie's so it's not plush at all which is probably why he doesn't chew it. and he has no problem racing around his cage on the carpet either....lolo

Toby isn't much of a carpet chewer as he is a carpet digger. A year or so ago (when I lived at my parent's house) I'd seen him pull loops of carpeting up with his nails, so I put carpeting in his cage. All he did was pee on it. No digging or anything, just peeing. I gave up on that idea. The grass mats are better, in my opinion. The buns don't pee on something they'll chew on/eat! :)

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Becky_Muller wrote:
We provide them with edible tiki huts made out of hay and the chew-alfalfa stuff for their teeth.  They rip those to shreds in days!
I am not trying to scare you,  but I think I heard some members say those tiki huts are not safe for rabbits.  I hope anyone that reads this can answer or reply to this finding.

A simple thing for them to dig, chew, rip and shred is an old telephone book.  :)

If its these: http://www.petsathome.com/find/keyword-is-hut/product-is-V00165 you are talking about then the reason they shouldnt have them is because they contain pretty much 90% sugar in the hut wall.

Latest posts

Back