Caring for Your Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*nepo*

Reaction score
Today I got a bunny bookfrom the library. I know for sure that Nepo is a mini rex. Here isother information I found about other rabbit breeds: NetherlandDwarf-Smallest breed of rabbit. Weighs 2 to 3 lbs when full-grown.Comes in a wide range of colors. Cute, round body. Large eyes and shortears. Popular pets but not good with small children; Dutch-Oneof the most popular pet rabbit breeds. Friendly, mild nature. Comes ina variety of colors, but is known for its special white markings.Females are gentle and attentive mothers. Weighs about 4 to 5 lbs whenfull-grown; Mini Rex-Thick velvety coat. Nicknamed "thevelveteen rabbit". About fifteen different colors, including white.Very friendly. Also comes in a larger size, called standard Rex;English Angora-On average English Angoras weigh 7 lbs whenfull-grown. Long, white coat, which consists of wool instead of fur.Wool can grow as long as 10 in. Quiet and slow moving. Requires a greatdeal of grooming; Lop-Long, limp, hanging "lop" ears and thickbody. Large, round head and flat face. Long, dense coat. Comes in avariety of solid and broken colors. Quiet and mild in manner. Neck ishidden; Californian-Compactbody. Friendly, gentlepersonality. Red eyes. Ears,feet, tail, and nose can be blue,black, brown, or lilac in color. Rest of body is white. Alert andactive.

It said chocolate was poisonous for rabbits, butthis surprised me: broccoli is also poisonous:shock:

Hi *nepo* :)

Thanks for sharing that. Didn't know broccoli was poisonous to rabbits.

Can't see the picture, but I'm sure it's adorable.

Check one of the top 4 posts on the forum about basic rabbit care. Ithas a list of books in there that you might see if they have at thelibrary.

Glad to hear you're signing the books out and enjoying them. Keep usposted on the hidden treasure of books you discover that we haven'tlisted.

:)

-Carolyn

Remember that older books may only have generalinfo on the different breeds and most rabbit care books do not have themost up-to-date info on the various breeds.

For instance: English Angoras are accepted in more than 30 varietiesfor show. Giant Angoras have only 1 show variety: white.

Californians are a commercial body type meat rabbit (notcompact). The only desired color is black points: "color tobe as near black as possible".

Mini Rex are currently accepted in 14 different varieties.

Pam

*nepo* wrote:
It said chocolate was poisonous forrabbits, but this surprised me: broccoli is alsopoisonous:shock:
Well now.. I should have a talk with the breeder I got my rabbits from.She said broccoli was OK, and I had been giving my rabbits a tiny stalkonce a week along with some other veggies. So far it hasn't given themany ill effects, but you can bet they will not be getting that anymore.Thanks for the info!

~Nichole

I too consulted the HRS on what veggies to giveHenry and Max and Henry loves broccolli. I would definatelynever give them chocolate though! I don't give the dog iteither, there's been a case of chocolate killing a dog. Maxdoesn't get any vegetables now as when I took her to the vet about hersore feet he said it was probably due to the runny poos sticking to herfeetand just to keep her on pellets and hay as it would helpher later in life. I feel so sorry for her though, when Henrygetscarrot tops or greens, I want to give her sometoo. :(

Lops come in Holland 3 to 4 lbs,minilop 4 to 61/2 lbs,english lop 9 lbs and over,french lop 10 1/2 lbs and over.andplush lops which are not accepted yet.I believe the plush lops arebeing presented at the convention.i believe they are a lopwith rex fur. i thought the lop description in the book wassadly lacking.bluebird

Don't forget the American Fuzzy Lops :)Mini Plush Lops will never be accepted under current ARBArules. Velveteen Lops are the ones that have a certificate ofdevelopement, but haven't been accepted yet.

Pam

Latest posts

Back