Caring for a depressed bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskylollipop

Laura the Bunsnuggler
Reaction score
Merlin's not doing well. Since Rosebun died I've been letting him out for longer and trying to spend more time with him, but all he's been doing is this:

tumblr_n3n6rp2EK31qarrtbo1_500.jpg

So this is my log of things I do to see if it helps him feel better, in case anyone else has to go through a bunny bereavement and, like me, can't really find much help on Google.

I did find this thread helpful though: http://www.binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/114014/Default.aspx

It's been 3 days since Rosey's death. I left his body in the cage with Merlin for maybe 4-5 hours, during which he totally ignored it so I'm wondering if I should've left it in there longer.

He seemed okay the day Rosey died, but has increasingly deteriorated since. Today Merlin's not drinking water or eating on his own. He took about half a spoonful's worth of pellets this morning and now won't take any more. I made him a big plate of wet veggies, and he only deigned to eat maybe 20% of it.

I gave him a plush toy to sleep with at night so he wouldn't feel lonely. He hasn't seemed very impressed with it but when I move the toy to make it seem like it's eating his food, he gets jealous, nudges it away, and eats a small mouthful. He does like it when the toy "grooms" his head and ears though.

Here he is being depressed with his toy.

tumblr_n3n6qzSjiR1qarrtbo1_500.jpg

He's been very sulky with me, lunging at me and sometimes nipping when I try to pet him or offer him food. And he doesn't follow me around anymore...that's ALL he and Rosebun used to do. It's kinda heartbreaking to feel like you're not good enough for your baby, but what can you do.

I'll have to try syringing him water again soon.

I found some unformed, soft poos in his cage this morning - guess that means he hasn't been eating hay?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Awwwww, this is so sad. Is he neutered? I think you should find him a new bunny friend really soon. Maybe a run around outside in the sunshine in a doggie play pen- that seems to always make my rabbits do Binkies.

I don't know how open minded you are but I allowed an animal communicator to assess my kitty and it really helped clarify her feelings and worries to me. The animal communicator was able to "speak" to my kitty and reassure her and ask some questions. I noticed a big change in her after the session, it was very interesting. Reiki is also another great therapy that deals with energy and can make a big difference in an animals behaviour. It doesn't change their personality it just helps them deal with emotional and physical issues. This could sound pretty out there to some people but I myself have seen the benefits first hand.

squidpop: He is neutered, and yes we've been looking for a new bunny. It seems like it'd take at least a week to sort out though! Unfortunately we live in a city apartment, so he can't have a run outside :( Bringing him to new environments could do the same maybe, I'm trying to arrange a bunny play date with a rescue...if only they would email me back lol.

Beverly: Does it really work?? How did the session go, did the communicator come and meet your kitty? I'm open to it but skeptical I guess. I went on google to look for one near me but there's only one miles away. She does offer "distance" readings, but I'm even more skeptical of that.

Figured out a way to make him eat and drink. Cage confinement. In boredom he does end up nibbling at his hay and taking a few sips of water. He spends most of the time lying down looking miserable though.

I'm still trying to hook him up with the Nethie at the Cavy rescue. Hubby wishes we could get one of em giant Flemmies, if only we had a bigger place. I just miss my Roseypoo and his handsome little face. Why did this have to happen :(

Beverly: Does it really work?? How did the session go, did the communicator come and meet your kitty? I'm open to it but skeptical I guess. I went on google to look for one near me but there's only one miles away. She does offer "distance" readings, but I'm even more skeptical of that.

It worked for my kitty. She gets Reiki every Thursday. The nice thing about Reiki is everyone in the room benefits, not just the animal/person it's directed at. It can be done hands on or by distance. Same with animal communication. The lady who had the session with my cat wasn't even at my house. All I did was send her a picture of my cat. Some of the things she picked up on she would have no way of knowing because she doesn't know me or my cat. I also had nothing to lose by trying it out because she had only just recently graduated from the animal communication course and she did the session for free for her practicum.

I definitely understand your skepticism. We're not brought up to believe in "energy" and many people need science to convince them. I prefer to base my beliefs on personal experience and I can honestly say that I am now a believer in animal communication. It was truly an amazing experience and I look at my cat much differently now. Also because of it I was able to share with the vet what happened and something I said made the vet reconsider how she treated my kitty. She changed her herbal formula and we were able to get her back on track again. My vet was glad for the insightful info from the communicator. All I know is that this lady is pretty good for just graduating, I wonder how good she'll be in a few years!

Oh my gosh, poor Merlin. :(

I've never had to deal with a situation like this (and I'm so sorry that you're currently having to do so), but I'd think that he'll probably perk up a bit when you're able to find him a new friend. I really admire you being able to look into adopting a new bun so soon, for Merlin's sake, but I also know that you'll be giving that bunny an amazing home to spend its life in.

My thoughts are with you and Merlin both. :pray:

Thank you Charlotte. :)

Beverly: It sounds so "psychic"-like to me I find it hard to swallow, but I believe you! Now I definitely want to give this thing a go, I wonder what Merlin would have to say about us.

A breakthrough tonight! Hubby and I decided that instead of putting the bunnies away for dinner like we usually do, we'd try having dinner with Merlin. So I made him a plate of veggies (Hubs sneaked in two french fries - naughty!) and we had a family dinner together. Made sure to give Merlin lots of attention. He seemed much happier about this! Although most of his excitement was consumed in trying to steal more fries off of our plates lol.

But we had 2 lil binkies and a bunny 500! And later he had a nice long drink at his bowl. Tonight was a great success. It's amazing how much better Merlin's healing makes me feel about Rosey's passing.

Glad he's doing better! It also helps him when YOU feel better. Animals can sense our energy and our emotions so I would only assume that the better you feel about it, he will feel better about it too and vice versa:)

Beverly: You know that makes sense. When Rosebun died, Merlin was extremely unnerved. He was not nearby between when Rosey got stepped on and when he died, our poor boy was surrounded by us and never made a sound, so Merlin couldn't have seen him get injured or die. But the second we realised Rosey was gone and our hearts dropped, we heard the loudest thump. It was Merlin, crouching five feet away under a table with his ears forward. His eyes were bulging.

I was busy being a crying mess, but hubby tried to put him away, tried to entice him out with food, and very uncharacteristically he would not have any of it. He thumped again and again. Somehow I knew, HE KNEW. He wouldn't come out or let anyone touch him for maybe 10 minutes. It was only when we calmed down enough to put Rosey's body in their cage that he slowly inched out, looking like he'd been hunted by dogs.

:( I still feel so bad about it. But Merlin's such a tough little trooper and I can't imagine trying to accept Rosey's death without his help.

ohhh I'm so sorry to hear about this. It will obviously take him for him to come around, much like anyone dealing with a death. But he knows you love him and that you're mourning too - it's a hard time for everyone. Sending lots of support your way.

Another day of moping, I'm afraid. He's been lying in his "spot" under the table for hours without pooping or peeing. He'll eat a limited amount pellets and greens, but that's it. Efforts to lure him out with treats only result in him going back in. Flicking pellets at his face leads to him eating some, but doesn't annoy him enough to move.

We're considering moving the table.

It sounds so sad and it's terrible to see our animals grieve, I'm sure you feel really helpless right now. There are homeopathic remedies available which you could try giving him. Again, it's not something that everyone believes in but lucky for us animals don't judge these things. I've used with a lot of success these remedies: Rescue Remedy, Ignatia Iamara and more recently as recommended by Sophie's vet, Tromos. All 3 of these remedies are for emotional upset, fear and stress. They are very safe to give. They can be given in the following ways: in their drinking water or food, rubbed into the inner ear, put into a spray bottle and misted into the air over their body. The nice thing is is they are safe to use.

I just read your blog, so sad about Rosy :( it's sounds really bad & I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings but he may think you killed Rosy!

When my Sassy died of bloat (Darcy & her were so in love) he spent 20minutes with her grooming her body & ears & sniffing her nose, went on his pillow & thumped & just ignored her as if to say I get the point!

I left her babies with her for 10minutes as I don't think they got the point she had passed they were just going about their business & not really noticing her, being so young I don't think they really new about death so I just made it brief- they have been fine since as they have always had each other.

Darcy for some reason took a couple of weeks to "forgive me" and my instinct was he thought I had killed her as he didn't see her die but yet she smelt like me from me nursing her, I felt devastated!

I gave him his space, spoke to him in a loving voice, but didn't go over board with trying to stop him grieving- bunnies can sense your inner emotions & sometime just don't want to be around that sorrow as well as theirs. I also immediately bonded him with his son & daughter that were 6weeks old & smelt just like Sassy (I wasn't due to seperate them from their mum until 8weeks but lucky they were eating on their own & only having 1 milk feed a day)

Darcy soon forgot about the Sassy death involving me & was back to his normal self a couple of weeks later & stopped continuously giving me the stink eye & thumping! It was a relief!!

I recommend if you have something that Rosy's smell is all over, have the new bun spend a lot of time on the smelly item to transfer his scent- this makes them more inquisitive & at ease, this worked great for me.

Bev: Wow, I don't know if I could find any of that stuff down here. I'd be keen to give it a go!

SRonchi: I think he knows Rosey was killed... Going by my gut, I don't feel like he blames anyone though, he just really really misses his buddy. I'm definitely going to be swapping scent items! It all hangs on the playdate this weekend, here's hoping it goes well.

Well Merlin's a bit better today, more active. He'll eat his pellets, but only if I'm sitting right beside him. He used to have all his meals with Rosebun, I guess he just doesn't want to eat alone.

For some reason, his litterbox habits are pretty much perfect now. It used to be, I'd say, 90%. He'd leave poops on the carpet here and there. Now 99% of his poops are in the litterbox. Obviously this makes my clean freak of a hubby real happy. I wonder if it would stay that way if we brought back a new friend for him though.

For those of you who've brought back a new bunny to meet your old one(s), did the territory incursion ever affect the old one(s) litter habits? Did you have to retrain them or did it just get back to normal on its own?

Bev: Wow, I don't know if I could find any of that stuff down here. I'd be keen to give it a go!

Homeopathics are quite common, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find them near you. They're pretty common at health food stores, grocery stores where they sell organic products and holistic vet clinics. Ordering online is a great option too:)

Bev: I've honestly never come across any, I guess it's not a big thing here! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled though.

Anyways! Merlin tooth-purred for the first time ever! He was bunloafing in his spot as usual, so I moved my laptop over to sit under the table with him. I was absently stroking down his back like a cat, which was something he never minded but didn't seem to have any strong feelings about before. Suddenly he did a big stretch under my hand, sticking out his front and back legs like Superman, almost like he was trying to make himself longer for bigger strokes. And he totally tooth-purred for maybe 5-10 seconds with his eyes closed.

That made me happy :)

He bit me really hard. I was trying to get him out of his moping spot. Ow~

But he's not doing so bad, I got him a really great-looking bag of hay today, and the way he's tucking into it, he sure agrees. I also got him a new brushy. I ziplocked the old one and keep it by my pillow, it was full of Roseybun's soft white fur that I brushed off him just before he died. Crazy bunny lady, lol.

Merlin gets really hyperactive around dinnertime now that we all eat together! I think he gets excited about all the pieces of hoomin food he'll get to steal. He climbs all over everyone and everything to snatch yummies. Quite the impolite dinner guest.

Latest posts

Back