Care after alteration?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluMagic

Reaction score
Is there any kind of extra stuff/care she may need? I've never had an altered rabbit so I was just wondering whether or not I will need to tend to her more.

Thanks!

Spays are more invasive than neuters, so, they need a bit more post op care than males do. I've never had a female spayed. Here is a thread from our library that may help. Others that have had the experience hopefully will chime in soon. Best of luck with your new bunner!:)

Here is a thread from our Library:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12041&forum_id=10

Edited to add:

Not sure if this is in the thread, but as a reminder, make sure meds are sent home with you/caretaker for pain. A rice sock would be another good idea, take an old sock, fill with rice, tie it off and heat in microwave just a bit and give to bunny for some relief to the spay pain. (I would of course move the sock around in your hands to make sure it's not too warm, as mics do heat unevenly; just procautionary:)).

Pain meds are important. I believe that you should get Metacam (Sp?). It is a fairly common pain med after being spayed/neutered. I don't know the dose for large breeds.

In the cage, do not use wood shavings. The shavings can get in the incision and irritate it. Use blankets, newspaper or other similar things. You can use some litter in the litter box. Wood pellets or recycled paper litters work.

No out of cage time for at least 10 days. This includes levels in the cage and if you have a run.

You need to check the incision twice a day. Look for swelling, redness and pus. You should make a vet appointment for 10-14 days after the spay for a vet incision check and general check up.

The rabbit may be grumpy and not the rabbit you met when you first saw her. She is going though a lot with a new home and surgery. She may be aggressive or aloof. You should leave her alone as much as possible (I know it's hard) so she can adjust.

Hi,

I have lots of experience with spays/neuters. Couple of thoughts here. First, if you have any voice in the procedure, laser works much better for spays. There is some debate on this issue in the vet community mostly cost comparison between laser and conventional procedures as laser is more expensive. Based on our years of experience with spays, we insist on laser. There is much less blood loss since the laser with seal the blood vessels. The much cleaner incision heals much faster without complications. Our vets do not use external sutures. We have self dissolving internal sutures with a final close with surgical glue. We have never had any problem with a laser spay.

Next is the importance of pain meds. They are essential. Metacam is one of the more common analgesics prescribed. It is a NSAID...similar to our Tylenol. In my non-professional opinion, it is totally insufficient pain control. I generally use either Buprenorphine (Buprenex) or Tramadol. Either of these drugs can be used in conjunction with Metacam. We usually do at least 3 days of Buprenorphine for spays. Some vets will tell you they get a one shot of pain meds that will work long term....not true. Some vets are cautious about sending Buprenorphine home since it is a controlled drug...but it is the best pain med available for a rabbit. Tramadol is also quite effective and very cost efficient. Unfortunately few vets are familiar with it's use in rabbits. It comes only in a tablet so it does need to be compounded into a suspension. But it is a great drug for moderate to severe pain.

Best wishes.

Randy

Latest posts

Back