Care after a neuter!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MollyIsTall

Reaction score
Hello! My rabbit is getting neutered this month, I want to know how to take good care during the recovery progress, he is a male. I want to know how to make his recovery smooth and comfy!

Rabbits generaly recovery pretty quickly after a neuter. About 5 days at the most. From my experience, they don't act any different afterwards really.
Be sure to leave him for at least 30 days before Introducing him to others.

My bun patches is getting neutered in 4 days. I feel like I’m pretty prepared because this forum has been a great help. You really just need to make sure he doesn’t lick too much at his cut. And make sure he eats.

My bun patches is getting neutered in 4 days. I feel like I’m pretty prepared because this forum has been a great help. You really just need to make sure he doesn’t lick too much at his cut. And make sure he eats.

Thanks! I got Archie around April I think, I'm pretty well bonded with him! thanks for the advice! Good luck to Patches! <3

It's always good to have a recovery food like oxbow critical care and some feeding syringes on hand just in case your bun won't eat within 24 hours and the vet advises you to syringe feed. Also make sure the vet sends you home with a few days worth of oral pain meds(meloxicam/metacam). And have some sort of way to keep your rabbit warm(eg. rabbit safe heating pad or heat pack), as their body temp usually drops post anesthesia. Here's a link for post surgical care in rabbits.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

It's always good to have a recovery food like oxbow critical care and some feeding syringes on hand just in case your bun won't eat within 24 hours and the vet advises you to syringe feed. Also make sure the vet sends you home with a few days worth of oral pain meds(meloxicam/metacam). And have some sort of way to keep your rabbit warm(eg. rabbit safe heating pad or heat pack), as their body temp usually drops post anesthesia. Here's a link for post surgical care in rabbits.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Thanks a lot!

Also make sure not to withhold food before the surgery. Rabbits are different than cats/dogs etc. They must eat. If not it can be fatal.
Take his food with you as well. And they will feed him immediately after surgery.

Keep him in a pen for a few days afterward so he doesn't open his stitches. And you should look into getting a litter box that he can walk into because you don't want him to have to jump up which could also open the stitches. And like Madelyn said, make sure he doesn't bite at his stitches. When Pumpkin got neutered, he was obsessed with trying to take out his stitches. So I had to sit with him 24/7 to lift up his head when he tried to go down and bit them off.

Back