Cardboard Boxes, Toys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2Benny

Reaction score
I was reading online about taking a cardboard box and making a "house", and I am trying to find "activities" and "toys" for Benny. I just got my first rabbit a couple days ago.

So after recently buying a microwave, I took the cardboard box and made two doors, one on each end, and 6 little windows. I put some timothy hay inside, and was quite proud of myself.

I showed Benny to the box (he has an entire room to himself, he is allowed hopping all over the apartment, but he usually sticks to the room his cage is in.

So I'm out in another room on a couch and hear a nibbling and he was chewing the cardboard box...

I am wondering is this ok??? Websites were suggesting cardboard?

And there were a lot of "small animal toys" and things for chewing at the pet store. I am wondering what is ok, and what's not.

We did buy a "large" nest of straw and he chews it, and he'll get in it and go through like a tunnel if I hold it steady (we didn't realize how small it was).

He seems okay with his cardboard box now, I added more timothy hay.

I found toys from my cats that they were not using (my cats live with my mom, not with the bunny), and the bunny loves them. There is a "crinkle bag" for cats and Benny has made a "nest" out of it. He's fun.

My bunnies like paper bags, maybe Benny would be interested in that, too. I just put them on their sides, they hop inside, toss the bags, chew them. I got little paper bags, too, and those are also a hit. The expensive bunny toys... they barely touch. The 99cent barbell cat toys and paper bags/cardboard boxes are their favorites. They also like little hand towels thrown on the floor so they can rearrange them, dig, toss them.

My bunnies eat cardboard all the time.
They've got some cardboard "playhouses" they will go in, and have loads of fun tearing up the floor, or chewing at the edges, and will eat some of it. They usually get tired of it after awhile, and will go do something else.

Probably as long as they're eating only small amounts at a time, they'll be fine. :)

DazyDaizee wrote:
My bunnies like paper bags, maybe Benny would be interested in that, too. I just put them on their sides, they hop inside, toss the bags, chew them.
Ooohh yes, mine like paper bags too. I sometimes put hay in the large brown paper bags, and they love that - it's messy, but hey, they're having fun, so who cares :p

Jan

I gave him a toilet paper roll, but he hasn't had any interest in it today.

My mom bought one of those wooden "bridges" and he loves hiding under it!!!!

my bunny didn't pay the toilet rolls any attention at first either. now he picks them up with his mouth, it's quite cute... probably just sussing out if it's safe. also sometimes bunnies arent in a playful mood, I guess.

With the paper towel rolls, my bunny Toot is hilarious. She can handle the TP rolls, but the paper towel rolls are longer than her whole body. To see her lift up one end and try to toss it in the air is adorable. But she definitely has fun with it!
I've seen these: http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/product_image_large.asp?RowID=389&SKUID=&GalleryID= at the MSPCA and the bunnies there seemed to love them. I'm sure you could also find a cheaper substitute at a craft store (just make sure it's not painted or coated with anything). But they are good for chewing and hiding. Might be perfect for your bun. The website ( http://www.busybunny.com )also has lots of other cool bunny toys that are safe to be chewed. Once I recover from the vet bills I just paid off, I plan to order some new toys for the bunnies from that site!

Latest posts

Back