Carbon monoxide detectors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?

• Yes

• No

• What's that?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gordon

Reaction score
Hi everybunny,

I just plugged in a carbon monoxide detector for my home. If you're not familiar with what that is, it senses carbon monoxide, which can reach unhealthy levels in a home due to malfunctioning or poorly vented gas appliances like furnaces, water heaters, stoves, clothes dryers, etc. You can be poisoned and die from high exposure to CO(Carbon monoxide), so the point of the detector device is to alert you with a loud beeping noise. If the alarm is triggered, I would scoop up your bunnies and leave the premises, just like a fire. Smoke detectors do not sense CO, and CO detectors do not sense smoke. They are two different devices. We all should have both types of detectors installed close to where we sleep.

My main reason for buying the CO detector was because I want to protect the two most important residents in this old house: Peter Rabbit and Bugs Bunny. I know their bodies are more sensitive to everything, and making sure the air is safe to breathe is fundamentally important.

You can buy a CO detector for around the same cost as a smoke detector.

I highly recommend you all looking into this, and do some research online if you're not convinced it's a worthwhile purchase.

We don't have one. We do have smoke detectors, but I absolutely agree that a carbon monozide detector is a fabulous idea. They aren't expensive either. Thanks Gordon, for the heads up.

At our new home we'll not only have smoke & CO2 detectors but they'll be wired into our alarm system. That way, even if we're not home the dogs and bunnies will be protected.
The reason we first got an alarm system in our previous home is that one of they're pamphlet's advertised about protecting your pets when you're not home. Those poor babies wouldn't have a chance.

Mom of Joy and Love wrote:
At our new home we'll not only have smoke & CO2 detectors but they'll be wired into our alarm system.  That way, even if we're not home the dogs and bunnies will be protected. 
The reason we first got an alarm system in our previous home is that one of they're pamphlet's advertised about protecting your pets when you're not home.  Those poor babies wouldn't  have a chance.

That's very smart. I have the option to connect my smoke detector into my security system, and I am going to look into the CO detector, too. (writing a sticky note to myself about this)

At our new home we'll not only have smoke & CO2 detectors...

Technically, it's CO... Carbon - one Oxygen, not two(not dioxide; it's monoxide) ;)

I'm sorry, I'm just trying to be precise. I called them CO2 detectors, too, until today. :p

We have a carbon monoxide detector and we've had it for at least 10 years now.
We also test it on a regular basis to make sure it's still functioning.

At our new home we'll not only have smoke & CO2 detectors but they'll be wired into our alarm system. That way, even if we're not home the dogs and bunnies will be protected.
The reason we first got an alarm system in our previous home is that one of they're pamphlet's advertised about protecting your pets when you're not home. Those poor babies wouldn't have a chance.
We have smoke and CO wired into out alarm system as well(I assume you ment CO?). I really like having an alarm system like that. It makes me feel safe when I'm away for the day. Now if only we had sensors on all the windows.... ;)

I've been off and on thinking about getting one. I know I need one.

I wonder, though, what do you do when it beeps? Besides leaving the house? I mean, if there's a fire, you call the fire department, but who do you call when there's carbon monoxide?

BethM wrote:
I've been off and on thinking about getting one. I know I need one.

I wonder, though, what do you do when it beeps? Besides leaving the house? I mean, if there's a fire, you call the fire department, but who do you call when there's carbon monoxide?
I've been wondering that too. I imagine you would just call 911, and they would connect you to the proper emergency service. Maybe someone else will know.

If the CO alarm goes off dial 911. They will contact the fire department (we had this happen a couple of times with a coal stove).
GET OUT of the House, all people and animals and leave all windows & doors SHUT. This allows them to test the levels in different areas of the house before they air it out. Ours came with oxygen tanks and huge fans. They really need to be able to test the peak levels and follow them back to the source.
Definitely worth it.

We're buying a house right now, and around here they have laws that require you to have hard-wired smoke detectors and a CO detector before you can sell your house.

Latest posts

Back