Car trip. . .

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elainaaa

Reaction score
Hi, I am picking up a few rabbits on Monday and and the drive is about an hour and a half. so anyone have any tips on traveling with rabbits? and help would be appreciated. I have a small dog traveling crate that kind of looks like this http://www.petco.com/product/109799/Marchioro-Tortuga-Clipper-Carrier-in-Blue.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_DogSupplies_CarriersCratesandKennels

is this ok to use for a rabbit?? of course it will have bedding in it so the bunny stays comfy :]]

Thanks, Elaina :biggrin2:

The carrier looks fine...but how many rabbits are you picking up and how big are they? Because if that's the size of your carrier, I wouldn't put more than 1 bunny in there...2 at the least....

As for traveling, an hour and a half isn't that long so they should be fine. Maybe stop at some point and offer them a dish of water to see if they'll drink - most likely they won't because they'll be stressed out. Make sure they have plenty of hay to nibble on...it reduces stress.

Other than that, I wouldn't have the radio on too loud as the noises might scare them, etc. ;)

Emily

ok thanks, I think that I am going to take 2 rabbits, so I'm going to get another carrier to put the other rabbit in.

Thanks, Elaina :biggrin2:

I have to travel about 1.5 hours (probably a bit less) to get Sweets. She was a little nervous about it, but she did great. She did have some food and a bit of water, but the water ended up spilling (no a large container though) and I don't think she ate much of the food. I used a small dog bed in the carrier and she seemed to like that.

I would defiantly bring 2 carriers. If you are getting rabbits from 2 litters, or that don't know each other, it could end up in a fight or breeding (I don't know what age or sex you are getting). If they are both from the same litter and still fairly young, you could keep them in 1 carrier. I would still bring both just in case.

I just took Jake on a trip to my parent's house which was about 2.5 hours each way. He did just fine. I think he was too nervous to eat on the way there, but he didn't seem agitated or upset, just laid down the whole time.

By the time we made the return trip he acted as if nothing was out of the ordinary, sitting up in the 'travel cage', eating and drinking and everything.

Back