Can't pick up my bunny anymore - will he ever forgive me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score
Some of you may have read that I had to force feed Peaches some Critical Care after his neuter - to do that I had to hold him near my shoulder and hold his head against my cheek so my son could feed him (it was a one-time thing - he slowly started eating after that). Now when I go to pick him up, he skitters away - he's terrified of me picking him up again. Now I can scratch/pet him all he wants and he likes that but I can,t pick him up. My son seems to be able to however, I'm not around to see if Peaches runs away and then my son persists on grabbing him.

Normally I'll bring him upstairs and brush and pet him while I watch TV. Will he ever let me pick him up again?

Does he have a favorite treat? Every time you pick him up, you could give him that favorite treat. Don't give it to him at any other time for a few weeks, except when you pick him up.

There are some rabbits that never like to be picked up, but since your son is all right, it could just be the residual fear from when you had to medicate him. I'd try the treats. :)

At this point, Poe will run across the entire house to jump in my arms when I call his name, because at least half the time, it means a treat is coming his way...even if it's just a bit of hay.

Tweetiepy wrote:
Some of you may have read that I had to force feed Peaches some Critical Care after his neuter - to do that I had to hold him near my shoulder and hold his head against my cheek so my son could feed him (it was a one-time thing - he slowly started eating after that). Now when I go to pick him up, he skitters away - he's terrified of me picking him up again. Now I can scratch/pet him all he wants and he likes that but I can,t pick him up. My son seems to be able to however, I'm not around to see if Peaches runs away and then my son persists on grabbing him.

Normally I'll bring him upstairs and brush and pet him while I watch TV. Will he ever let me pick him up again?
i have been there done it,too.--villin and saint--.you have to work with what they give you to regain their trust.,after all we are predators,and they know it.//.my cottontail is very skidish,,so i let him come to me,,of course he is spoiled,and likes his freedom in his environment,--i donot pursue him as it only serves to worsten our friendship..,sincerely james waller:big wink:

Yes, you can retrain him :) Start from scratch again, breaking picking up down into small steps like being able to put your hand in a position to pick him up and treat him each time you do it.

In the meantime, why not use a walk in pet carrier to bring him upstairs so you can still have your quality time together.

It's weird cuz if my son has him on his lap, I can pick him up no problem, but if I try to pick him up from his cage or just from the floor, he bolts away.

Latest posts

Back