Can't pick my bun up...*RESOLVED!*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a question on this, Angel has a twistedone, I believe its the "dew claw", sometimes I trim it, she reallydoesn't like it touched. So that one and one other one aregrayish black, but mostly her nails are white. Should I beconcerned about this?

Also, while at the vets, I noticed a couple of them (not the gray ones)at the base in the actual paw is pink/reddish, is this alsonormal? I really never noticed it before, maybe it was thelighting in the office. :?

Snuffles wrote:
I noticed a couple of them (not the gray ones) at the basein the actual paw is pink/reddish, is this also normal? Ireally never noticed it before, maybe it was the lighting in theoffice. :?
Toby's toes are pink, too. They've always been that way.

WOW! I thought it was really odd that Clover hada twisted one! (it's her dewclaw and it looks almost upside-down) Ijust trim it like the others.

Bo lost his toenails and never got them back. He broke themoff jumping on wire or something. Now he has all sorts ofmats.

The bunnies were out playing and Clover is just so molty rightnow. I couldn't stand it any longer so I went and got atowel. She stressed out until I got her snuggled up andstarted brushing her. Then it was ....... "oooooo mommy, overto the left a little......"
:hug:Hi Jim!!!

Ya know what? I'll try to remember toget a pic of her nail so you can see if its the same, it was that waywhen I got her so I never worried about it. HRS said not to,I don't clip it often at all, it seems like it doesn't grow like theothers so that's good. :D

Yeah, Clover's doesn't grow as quickly so I justnip the tip off when I do her others.... so that it doesn't try to diginto her leg. It doesn't seem to bother her at all.She's such a tough little cookie.

I live in the San Fernando Valley, near theBunnyLuv rescue (bunnyluv.org), which is the place we took Flower to(when the vet was closed) to be checked out when we found her back inMay.

I was considering taking here there or at least calling to see if theywould help me out with this. I'm awaiting Peg's return PMabout things before I proceed. :)

cowgirlup9 wrote:
Rosie where are you inCa.? Because I know the rescue I got Belvedere from does it. And if youweren't in my area I'm sure she'd know someone in yours that could doit.

~Rachel

Thank you!! I really appreciate the thought...that's so sweet of you! :D

Yeah, one way or another, I'm sure it'll work out. :)

Great topic and thread.

One of our boys was very untrusting of us for a long time, and is still warming up to us after almost two years. He is so anxious and excitable that we were stunned to learn how easy it is to trance him. The second he is on his back he is OUT. Because of this he is very easy to nail trim.

On a related note, we discovered just this week that he is MISSING a nail on one of his front paws. It made us wonder if there was negligence or abuse in his previous home. Might help explain his mistrust at times. He sure is a happy little boy now though, and we love him to pieces.

Jeff

Well, if it makes you feel any better I clipped Wildfire's nails last night, and she hated it. Would not sit still, and I had to get my room mate to hold her for part of it.

But after it was all over, there where no hard feelings. We had a bit of a snuggle, and few craisins, and she lied down for a bit. And she didn't hold a grudge.

I think they know when we are trying to do something they don't like for their benifit verses trying to do something to hurt them. They're smarter then we think...

--Dawn

Great thread :D,

I can trim BunBuns nails quite easily but only because I've been doing it since he was 7 weeks old. Lucky...I can trim hers but she is much harder. More struggling and she gets really upset and even sprays on me sometimes!

Now when I got Leo a couple of weeks back his nails were so long that I don't even know how he was managing to walk. He must not have had them cut for some months :(. His dew claw was twisted so badly that it was sort of bending back the way it came and growing back up his leg. I had such a battle trying to hold him still and I was shaking and sweating like crazy trying to concentrate!

In the end I had to sit on a chair with him on his back, his back feet resting against my stomach. I laid a towel over him and got my partner to kneal at my feet and have a hand on either side of Leo's face and shoulders so he couldn't see or struggle so much.l It took us about 30 minutes to trim them but it really helped having another person.

The only bun I can do by myself is Oberon, because he's so easy to trance. Oh, and I did Loki by myself for the first time a few weeks ago, but he doesn't trance well and it took a really long time. All the girls have to be held by my hubby (or I hold and he cuts). And Mocha has really dark nails with quicks of all different lengths that are totally unpredictable, so we have to shine a flashlight through them to find the quick. We've cut her nails too short several times and I always feel really bad. She forgives me though, as any good princess should.

Mine mostly forgive me after getting their mandatory treat, although sometimes they avoid me for a little bit.

I can do all the buns nails except for Tootsie.

I usually do all in one sitting....one right after the other.

Benji used to be the worst when he was younger. Squirming, twisting, biting, scratching, etc.
Now he's the wimpiest.....he lays very still on his back in the towel.....and whimpers the whole time.:cry2

Jim, is that a black mini-rex in your avatar? or who? and what's its name? DETAILS! I'm so behind and

sorry for the hijack :)

ok here is my 2 cents... (as someone else said) lol I have a rabbit (or 10) that hates coming out of their cage, I have to pick them up pull them out and once they are out they are fine.. they just do not like comeing out of the cage... I can then flip them over, check for any absesses, toenails or anything else.... Tried to use a towel 1 time and never will again.. rabbit freaked out and about tore me up! I either put 1 hand under the front feet and one under the rump. If they do not like that I scruff them like a cat and put the other hand under the rump... to get them out of the cage...

Gl wether you you do it or have someone else...

You know, Stephie, you make a great point. You need to be able to pick them up to check other things.

Clover hates it but I get her on her back and she is pretty well tranced. I can check her over well and let her go with no big issue. Bo doesn't trance! :?

Most of mine do not "trance" either... lol I just have to hold them squriming to do what needs to be done.. I try to handle each one a couple times a week... (does not always happen since I have so many.... ) But I try!

I just wanted to update this to let ya'll know...

I called the BunnyLuv shelter near me, and they said to bring my girlright on in, and they'll not only trim her nails, but they'll teach mehow to do it myself, and even let me practice. :D

So, problem solved!! :D:D

We'll be taking her on Saturday (since we currently have one car, andmy husband uses it for work)...so here's hoping those long bunny nailswe be okay for another couple days! I'm sure she'll be justfine...but Mama does worry...

Hugs to all and thank you for all your wonderful ideas!

Rosie*

Now, How cool is that?!? I'm so happyyou thought to call them and they are so willing to help you!That's what it's all about, huh? We all love them and I thinkif any of us were near we'd have helped ya ourselves!

If you get any real good pointers...... be sure to post them! :D

Bo B Bunny wrote:
We all love them and I think if any of us were near we'dhave helped ya ourselves!
:embarrassed:Yeah, sorryabout that. It's jsut that I couldn't see me being too muchof a real help. Considering how easy it is for me to do mybuns and dogs nails. Though the other day I accidently cutthe quick on Shadow's dew claw. Poor baby, but she didn'teven notice.

Latest posts

Back