Candles....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mardigraskisses

Reaction score
I clean Bayou's cage out almost everyday, but he hasn't been fixed yet and can get a little stinky even right after I change the litter. :blushan:

I was wondering if candles are harmful to rabbits? I burn it far away from his cage and generally have two fans going and the door open.

Think it'll cause any harm? He doesn't seem to mind. We just moved to a new house where we no longer smoke in the house. His nose is a little wet from time to time but I can't tell if it's from his water bowl or not. He doesn't sneeze that often and when he does it's usually just a little sneeze and then he's off again to cause chaos. :bunnydance:

I'm just so paranoid to do anything. :nerves1

If candles do cause harm, what are some alternatives to candles?

Best to use is soy candles. Candles don't cause much more harm to bunnies than they do to people, but bunnies aren't afraid of fire so don't let them near them! I love candles.

Have you cleaned Bayou's scent glands? This might help with the smell.

No I haven't done that yet. I'm waiting to get to the vet so that he can show me the right way to do it. I'm to scared to do it myself.

I used to burn incense 24/7 but I figured that was probably awful for rabbits, so the day I got Bayou, I quit that.

Are soy candles more expensive than regular ones?

They aren't as expensive as the premium candles, but are not as cheap as the cheapest candles out there. You can find them at Target and Walgreens and stuff. I bet candles are better than incense. You could also use fragrance diffusers if it's only about scent (I like the light candles give too).

I LOVE candles but I had to stop burning them because I have a parrrot and it will kill a bird so I don't really use them around the rabbits either.

Ido use one in my bedroom when I practice the piano but I prefer the soy ones also because they burn clean and are not smokey or dirty.

I love burning candles, but I always get a nasty headache when I do. Amelia dislikes all "added" smells, such as fragrance, or cooking odors. So, no candles at my house.

I've got a ton of candles that will be going into my yard sale this year. :(

Latest posts

Back