Can you walk rabbits?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley B

Reaction score
My friend gave me a rabbit harness and leash to walk my rabbit. My rabbit doesn't really like the harness.... Is there anyway i can help him get used to it? I really want to take him for a walk for excersize (which he needs before he gets too overweight!) please help me!

Answers apreciated,
Ashley

If he's only a few months old, you don't need to worry too much about him getting overweight. He's still growing! But once he's done growing, you do need to watch that he's not over-eating and getting fat. ;)

To train a bunny to use a harness takes time. Some bunnies just never tolerate them, but a lot do. You need to give him time to see and smell the harness and see that it's not going to eat him. Then you need to get him used to wearing it in the house where it's safe. Then after that you can look at adding the leash and taking him for a walk.

Be careful where you take him. Since he's quite young, just in your backyard would be a good place to start. Don't take him out on the street or to a park until he's 100% comfortable with the harness and the leash. Rabbits spook easily and can get tangled up in the leash or harness and can really hurt themselves.

Hope that helps!

Rue

To be honest, I don't really think that taking your rabbit for a 'walk' is really good for exercise. It is hard to keep up with them when they run and some don't like being restricted by the leash and won't move. Don't get me wrong, I have harnesses for all my rabbits, but I don't take them for walks either. I do agility with them, so need the harness to keep them same and have some control over them. However, if you don't have a safe yard or can get a couple x-pen, then a harness and leash can be used for some safe time outside.

First you need a rabbit save harness. The best kind are H style ones. These have a strap around the neck and one around the chest with a piece that connects them along the back and a ring either in the middle or at the back end. There are a few brands out there that sell them, but most are sold as cat harnesses. Avoid Figure 8 harnesses as they are all one piece which can tighten if the rabbit pulls and that can cause strangulation. Step in harnesses don't fit rabbits really well and are easy to slip out of, so not a good idea. Vest ones can be used, but tend to be bulky which some rabbits don't like. The velcro can get clogged with hair, so might not be good after a while.
The leash should be light weight and 4-6 ft long. I would not use a retractable leash as it causes tension all the time and can be dangerous of the rabbit runs to the end of if you drop it. A light cat or small dog one should work.

You can start by putting the harness in the cage or area and see how your rabbit reacts. Don't leave it there unless you are around as some rabbits will chew them. If they goes well, you can try opening up the straps and just laying it on his back. If he does well with that for a while (you may need to put it back on a few times), then adjust it so that it is loose but not too loose and see if you can put it one him and do it up. When you do this, have him in a safe area and be right there in case he freaks out. If he does well, you can then adjust it more to his size so it is not too loose but not too tight. Since he is young, you will need to adjust it on a regular basis as he grows.

For the leash, wait until he is used to the harness. Then attach the leash and let him drag it around. Make sure you are there so it doesn't get caught on something. You can then pick up the leash and follow him around with it. A longer one can be good if he decides to run so he doesn't get jerked back by it.

Once he is used to both the harness and leash with you following, you can try to direct him. Pull on the leash a little bit and see if he will turn to the pressure. You can use your hands as well (never use your feet to direct) so he gets the idea of what the pulling means. Keep in mind that not all rabbits will respond to this. It is good to get him to stop at the end of the leash so he doesn't hurt himself.

Stick to safe areas. You never know when a rabbit might bolt or get scared. If you do go away from home, make sure the area is safe. Grass should not be sprayed with any chemicals as they would be dangerous if eaten. If you don't know, don't go.

I've walked my buns before and didn't get much out of it, but you may enjoy it. I honestly just put the harness on and out we went, and after a few minutes they relax and get used to the feeling of it. They don't walk like a dog, and you'll have to follow them, and be very careful that they don't get startled.

Just thought I'd throw in some information about rexes. You call him fat, although he's only a couple months old. Most likely, he's just meaty. Rexes are supposed to have a lot of muscle on them, which can make them look "fat" compared to breeds like English Spots. They are also meatier than mini lops.

Usually when a rabbit is getting fat, you'll feel it as squishiness (more than just loose skin) around their shoulders, first. A really fat rabbit will get deposits over their back and rump. You won't see a rabbit getting fat until it's done growing (after 6 months old).

O.O Wow, a lot of people take a lot longer to harness train then I do, but I've never had a problem with it in all 12 rabbits I've done it with. I stick the harness on and away we go, as simple as that. I've never had one freak out or even really notice.

I take my buns on walks all the time, I do think it is great exercise. Just be careful where you go and know how your rabbit reacts to different things (Cars, people, bushes, etc.) and watch out for dogs and cats in your neighbourhood.

I think people just tend to overcomplicate these things, to be honest. I think that if your calm and cool about the entire situation instead of hovering over them and constantly getting nervous every time they make a move they adjust to it a lot easier. If your rabbit gets scared, just take it easy and ease off a little, comfort them and move on.

Hello, I've walked ours around the estate. An old man typically said to be carful but othen than that most people smiled or shouted 'they've got a rabbit!' LOL!
Ruby liked it, gave her something new to wonder and smell.

13413_151128_300000001.jpg

My rabbit really enjoys walks. I didn't introduce her to the harness like many others did. What I did with the harnes is what I do with many species of animals are and it worked well. I put the harness on her and then did something positive right away. The first time I put the harness on her I took her outside because she loves to go outside. When we came in, she was again rewarded with her favorite treats. She isn't the biggest fan of getting the harness put on but she doesn't get to play if she doesn't wear the harness and she gets this.

With her harness...I take her the back yard. I take her to the pet stores. She has also been to the lake. I also take my dog along because she loves to hang with him and enjoys watching him swim at the lake. I also do pet therapy with her so she is trained in that manner as well.

I first put a harness on my bunny Pepper and she had no problem with it on, she just hated the putting of it on. Then we went to the back yard and she hopped around just like usual. After a while I just let it drag behind her and that gave her more freedom yet. I still kept an eye on her so it didn't get caught on anything and stuff. After awhile and a few times of doing this she didn't need the harness at all. She was happy to explore her (fenced) yard and do what rabbits do. Never used it again.

Mittensbunny wrote:
I have a leash and harness for my rabbit and she seems fine in it. She'll start hopping, then stop and so on. How do I get her to hop continuously?
You don't. That's what rabbits do on "walks", the start and stop thing :). You just have to go along with it.
Unless you want to train her to do agility or something, then you should talk to the experts.

Latest posts

Back