Can you train your bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~BunBuns~

Reaction score
The only trick my bunny knows is to jump up on me when i pat my leg. (She gets no treat in return tho) What kind of tricks do your bunnies know?

My girls don't know many, and I haven't really tried to train them......except they know each other's names (and their own), and they come when called.

BUT...I more answered the above to help bump your thread so others might respond. Hehe! :)

I did train my buns to jump on and off things, come to me when called and stand up when I asked but that was a couple of years ago, I haven't tried any tricks with them inages. :DTraining buns is pretty easy, you just have to be patient and give lots of praise (and treats ;)).

I've trained Rodney and Layla to run to the top level of their cages at the sound of a bell. They have a few bell toys, and I would ring the bells to let them know when I had just put veggies in their cages.

Now I have a proper bell with a handle, and they come running when they hear it andI give thema treat. It's really handy when I need to quickly get them into their cages.

there are loads of tricks bunnies can learn
  1. stand on their hind legs when asked - Daisy will do it if i click my fingers above her head!
  2. walk on harnesses - can be asked when to walk on, stop and do have some steering!
  3. jump over jumps while on or off their harnesses- check out the rabbit hopping thread at http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=18773&forum_id=21
  4. come when called - especially if its feed time!
  5. litter trained
  6. Daisy has recently learnt to turn a circle if im holding a treat in my hand
I am also trying to clicker train them and teach Daisy to follow a pointer! Ill let you know how that goes!

Back when I was a teenager I had a rabbit, Sarah- one of my b.e. polish - who I inadvertently trained to roll over. When she was still quite young one of her eyes developed an infection, and she had an opaque film over it. I took her to the vet and we were treating it with an antibiotic, but he didn't hold much hope... he saidshe'd most likely be blind in that eye and it would always have that opaqueness to it.

However, once the antibiotics were finished I decided to continue treating Sarah's eye, and gave her daily washes with a mild boric acid solution. She was an outdoor rabbit, but for the duration of treatment I had her indoors. I decided to put a harness on her while in the house, and discovered one day that if I touched her in a certain spot (while she had the harness on) that she would react...she'd flop over to one side. So I thought, why not try and teach her a trick? I would take a treat and, while Sarah was wearing the harness, would touch her in that spot. Then when she'd flop down I'd take the harness and tug on it, while holding the treat in front of her... and I'd move it in acircle. Eventually she learned to 'follow' the treat and, suddenly... I had a bunny that could roll over! Once she learned this, I started encouraging her without the harness on... all I had to do was touch her in that spot while holding a treat and tell her to roll, and she knew what to do. It was pretty unique. :)

Oh, and her eye....I continued to treat it for another two months or so, and it completely cleared up. When I took Sarah back to the vet to show him, he didn't believe it was her at first, there was such a transformation. She was a very special bunny.:)

The only trick my bunny knows is to go in her cage when I shake the craisin bag.

She also knows that when I turn around or leave the room, that this is the prime time to do something naughty!! That's not really a trick as much a nusance though....

Yes! Rabbits can be trained to do many tricks. I watched a video once of a rabbit that would jump through hoops, spin in a circle, stand up, do agility equiptment ... and heaps more. Ollie, for some incredibaly odd reason, will not take treats when he is out, so the only trick I've managed to teach him is rabbit hopping and walking on a harness. Here's a link about clicker training your bunny (which can be training him to do tricks as well)

http://clickerbunny.com/

And some tricks ....

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=BDocS5BfR0E]http://youtube.com/watch?v=BDocS5BfR0E[/ame]

Good Luck!
Rachel.

1dog3cats17rodents wrote:
That hopping thing is so cool:shock: Those jumps are huge!

Dmitri is not trained, but he did train us;)

its surprising how high a rabbit can jump and it is reasonably easy to train a rabbit to do small jumps and gradually over tiem you can increase the height and distance!

I don't know if it was this forum, but someone posted videos a while ago of a rabbit jumping tournament in an indoor arena. It was quite something.

I have a clicker I never used for my dog, but I'm going to try with my rabbit! I just started today and I think she's already got the "click means craisin piece" down pat!

Rabbit jumping competitions look like so much fun! I'm sure mine could do good if she would actually behave and wear a harness! I remember like 7 yrs ago, I visit my grandparents in Sweden every summer, and we borrowed bunnies to have for a month and we built jumps for them to hop over :) Fun stuff.

Well my buck knows the command "Kennel Up" Which i use when it's time to go in a kennel or back in his cage. I usually have to bump his bottom with my hand as i tell him this and sometimes direct him towards the source, otherwise he goes the wrong way. He's also litter trained and im working harness and rabbit hoppping training him. I just need an H harness.

"Kennel Up" would have been a little less weird that the one we came up with!:D There's nothing like watching my big Italian husband wandering around the bunny room calling out "Tookie, Took Took Took Took! :DHee hee hee!;) The bunns know as soon as they hear it that it is bed time and will head to their cage from anywhere in the house! We can even call itout in the living room and they will hear us three rooms away and head to bed! :DThe only other one is "Kissies" and that one only works on Dandelion. He will hop over and lick your nose... or in my husbands case pull his glasses off and then lick his nose! :DSometimes with Skittles the odd time if we say"Binkies" she will grace us with a few quick binkies...but being the queen...well you can't let them know you like taking orders!;)

Hi guys!

I taught Raisin how to come to meand get a raisin out of my mouth when making kissing sounds. He could be anywhere in the house or sleeping and as soon as I shake the container where the raisins are stored in, he runs towards me, I then put the raisin in my mouth (between my lips) and make kissing sounds and sit up straight so that he has to climb to get to his raisin. It's very cute and he does it oh so gently.

He's also totally potty trained and we have a little game where I give him kisses on his ears/nose/head and then hold my forehead for little licks. He always says thank you after a petting/loving session as when I finish patting him he will lick my feet/pants/hand any place he's close to and go on for a few minutes!

:inlove:I love him Sooooooo much!

Monique

Latest posts

Back