Can you tatoo day of show?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairyTailFuzzies

Reaction score
I'm getting ready for a show (Mullica Hill NJ)this Sat. I was grooming tonight and noticed two of myrabbits' tatoos are so faint you can barely read them. Ihaven't invested in my own tatoo equiptment yet - I was trying todecide between the electric hand held or pliers....anyway.....is itpossible to have them done at the show? I emailed thesecretary and they said I"d have to ask around when I getthere. Can tatoo equiptment be bought at any stores like SoStates etc....?

Thanks for any advice....

You can tattoo day of show, but be certain towipe the excess ink out before the rabbit is put on the showtable. The tattoo must be legible!

Tattoo equipment can be purchased from rabbit supply dealers at the shows or from rabbit equipment dealers.

Pam

Thanks Pam

Do you reccomend one type over another? Elec vs. Pliers? I guess I"llget there early and buy some. I just hate waiting til thelast minute - I'm usually prepared in advance!

I prefer the electric, but some people havetrouble getting used to them. There is a new model out thatis very reasonably priced and of good quality available athttp://RabbiTatt.com(Use the black ink)

Pam

This is my experience with tattoos. Ifyou use the clamp style, do it when they are about 8 wks old, and workthe ink in well, it seems to last longer that way.If you do it after that my suggestion would be to useelectric, because they tend to fade, and you can retouch asneeded. It seems a lot less stressful to me to use electrictattooing on older rabbits.

It seems like we are always touching up tattoos right before the shows, and I will be investing in an electric one soon.

We got our clamp-style at Atwood's. It is a farm supply store. If Iwere you I would try to find someone before the show. Thursday orFriday, and get it done. I've tattooed the day of a show, andit was not a pretty site. Especially if you accidentally hit a vein.

Also, get the metal numbers and letters, not theplastic ones. I used plastic ones once and the tattoo did noteven show up. From then on I use metal and works like a charm:p.

Crackers I wish this postwas up before yesterday and before Friday. I Just got the Clamp styleTattoo kit and thought I had ordered theMetal stamps , wrong they are the plasticones ! Now I am finding they may not work as well .(sigh ) oh well do the best I canwith them then backthem up with a Batt Tatt at a later date .

I didwondering about the plastic stampsbeing sharp enough to penetrate deepenough . I have 2 Rabbits who need tattooing for this weekend, If I am not happy with the end resultsof the Tattoo I have someone whocan Batt Tatt it if necessary.

I dont like to tattoo on show day,i did it onceand the judge said my rabbit was holding his ear funny and placed himlower.My dwarfs will hold there ear funny for about two dayssometimes.bluebird

Well I ended up getting the juniors tatooed bythe registrar at the show. The doe did hold her ear funny butstill managed to get a first place. Actually, Ibrought 4 and all 4 won thier class - first place! My seniordoe took BOB, BOV, and my sr buck BOS. We had a greatday! I took my neice and she even won somthing in the raffle.

Of course, the new Batt Tatt arrived in the mail today andwas sitting in the mailbox when I got home from the show!!

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Glad you got that one -- I don't own one, but have used them. Nice quality for a good price.

Pam

Latest posts

Back