can you take you bunnies on a car ride to see relatives?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotina

Reaction score
Thinking of taking the 2 buns (carrier and cage)to my mothers on the 17th. Its about 1.5hr drive each way. Id take thecage too so they can stretch once we get there. Have you done it? or amI nuts?

COOL! The only difference is i bring Domino to pet stores all day to pick out new toys and treats and such.

my advice is bring lots of food and water, toys and a few treats to keep bun happy.
Is your rabbit used to car rides, if not you should go on a few short drives to see if your rabbit can handle being in the car.

~ani-lover
ps: you are not nuts.:)

I'd do what Ani says, just to see how theyreact. Some rabbits can get very stressed out during car rides,especially long ones where some enjoy it! If the are very stressed andnervous during a car ride, I would not take them.

My bunnies dont like car rides because the onlytime they get to go in the car, is when they go to the vets.Hehe.

But as said, a few little ones first might get them use to thecar. Especially if they arent going to the vets after ;)

Harper LOVES car rides. However, he cannothandle riding in a car if he's in a cage. So, I never cage him, howeverI do bring his carrying cage as a back-up. Harper likes riding in theseat next to me like a dog, but his favorite place is the armrest:

harper-car1small.jpg

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Harper LOVES car rides. However, he cannot handle riding ina car if he's in a cage. So, I never cage him, however I do bring hiscarrying cage as a back-up. Harper likes riding in the seat next to melike a dog, but his favorite place is the armrest:

harper-car1small.jpg
isnt having him on the front seat or the arm a bit dangerous for you and for hima nd anyone else in the car?

My husband and I took Drizzle to upper Wisconsinlast June. It's a 6.5 hour drive each way. Drizzle didn't mind and hedid like being out of his cage. However, when I did let him out, I heldhim. I didn't want him running around the car. He was ok. Hedidn't drink much, but I made him have some w/ a medicine syringe w/outthe needle (cleaned of course). He was fine.

hunnybunny63 wrote:

isnt having him on the front seat or the arm a bit dangerous for you and for hima nd anyone else in the car?
No more so than people who let their dogs ride in the front seat of the car with them.

MyBoyHarper wrote:
hunnybunny63 wrote:

No more so than people who let their dogs ride in the front seat of the car with them.
true but i dont think that is safe either unless you have one of thosespeacial dog seatbelts which means they cant move to far like a humanseatbelt but more like a harness!!

You most certainly are not nuts! I often [onceevery one or two months] take my rabbit over to my friend's house. Hequite enjoys, though sometimes gets a little overexcited. I'm hoping tofix that by getting him neutered soon. The only part he doesn't likeabout it is his carrier. It takes me around 5 minutes to get him in,but once he's in, he's fine. :) He loves riding in the carrier, thoughhe just doesn't want to go in :? Odd ...

lalena2148, how did it go? I'm hoping to take myrabbit to a show, but it's a fair way away from us [probably around 6-7hours], and I was wondering how they cope on the longer rides? :)

Rach & Ollz.

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Harper LOVES car rides. However, he cannot handle riding ina car if he's in a cage. So, I never cage him, however I do bring hiscarrying cage as a back-up. Harper likes riding in the seat next to melike a dog, but his favorite place is the armrest
Same as Berri, the first time she was in a car I had her in a carrier,but she panicked, it was scary! I opened the door and she rushed outonto my knee and was fine after that. She loves to sprawl on the seatnext to me (not the passenger seat though, cos I'm too young to bedriving!:tongutwo:)

That picture of Harper on the armrest is precious!:D

Turbotina, I'd do that too, get them used to it first and they shouldbe fine! Don't worry about being nuts, we're all nuts here!;)

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

Michaela wrote:
MyBoyHarper wrote:
HarperLOVES car rides. However, he cannot handle riding in a car if he's in acage. So, I never cage him, however I do bring his carrying cage as aback-up. Harper likes riding in the seat next to me like a dog, but hisfavorite place is the armrest
Same as Berri, the first time she was in a car I had her in a carrier,but she panicked, it was scary! I opened the door and she rushed outonto my knee and was fine after that. She loves to sprawl on the seatnext to me (not the passenger seat though, cos I'm too young to bedriving!:tongutwo:)

That picture of Harper on the armrest is precious!:D

Turbotina, I'd do that too, get them used to it first and they shouldbe fine! Don't worry about being nuts, we're all nuts here!;)

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny
we are all nuts because we are slaves to rabbits and get themso many treats and toys and build them huge cages. According to manymembers these rabbits are more spoiled than dogs and cats.LOL:bunnydance:

We have taken ours for rides almost from thetime we had them. They behave very well in the car, we usually holdthem on our lap. We take them camping with us in the summer, a 2 hourdrive, and mostly they just rest. They never eat or drink in the careither, but then that's not so unusual from all I've read, a lot ofbuns don't. We do try to take them on rides during the middle of theday, when it's their rest time anyway. Even when they're at home, theyusually spend that time resting and not eating, drinking or playing forseveral hours anyway, so it's not a big difference. The longest ride wetook Hazel (our oldest, the only one we had then) on, was about a 5hour drive to visit my husband's dad for a week. We scheduled inseveral stops on the way for Hazel to go out and play in the grass, andshe did just fine. But, she was used to shorter drives, and I'm surethat helped.

ani-lover wrote:
we are all nuts because we are slaves to rabbitsand get them so many treats and toys and build them huge cages.According to many members these rabbits are more spoiled than dogs andcats. LOL:bunnydance:
*Shakes head yes yes yes* Harper definitely is. I think Harper thinkshe's a dog... or a human. One or the other. He's so spoiled, he lovesto cuddle while we watch scary movies, and loves to go "bye bye" in thecar. Such a spoiled brat. That's my boy! :D

jordiwes wrote:
I took my babies to my parents cottagefor theweekend a while back. Jordi hardly ate the entire time. So I wouldn'ttake my babies anywhere unless it was necessary.
I meant Jordi hardly ate the whole time we were away - 2 days! She'sjust not comfortable being away from home. She's Mommy's spoiledprincess.

Back