Can you move a litter into a box, after birth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
As most of you know, Adeline has refused every attempt at a nest box. Well, by "every", I mean "two". lol Anyway, I found a litter box (from when I went temporarily insane and moved a barn kitten into the house). It doesn't have an enclosed lid, but it does have a detachable lip thingy (to keep litter inside, supposedly, but never worked). I was thinking about moving Ad out of the cage for a bit, trying to transfer as much of her existing nest as possible into the litter box, and then putting her back in. Will she still feed them??

Most rabbits will accept that you can try it and see it should work. I have used kitty litter boxes as nest boxes in the past and they work.

It's a fairly big litter box, so would fit her and all the babies. I just wasn't sure if it would piss her off and she'd stomp her babies to death or something. While she allows me to mess around with her babies, she is NOT a fan of me cleaning her cage (I put a wood floor in, then shavings, and corrugated plastic around the sides...she has a fit whenever I take the old shavings out and put new ones in if she even thinks I'm getting too close to her babies).

I tried it, and it seems to be working. I just have to check in the morning to make sure she's getting in it to feed them. And yes, it has baby saver on it. Well, not wire, but corrugated plastic strips, 4 inches high. The problem is the way she builds her nest. It's not a normal nest, it's a freaking high rise. And I really hate to go much higher with the plastic, because she won't get much air flow. :(

Latest posts

Back