CAN YOU GIVE RABBITS A BATH?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although we don't bathe our rabbits regularly, weoccasionally have to give a full bath to bucks who love to urinateevery where and cover their coats in sticky urine. Be sure totowel dry very well and blow dry on low cool air. It takes awhile to get a rabbit dry, as the under coat is not meant to get wetand will hold a lot of moisture.

Pam

What about a dust bath like chinchillas, degus,and gerbils use? Do you think a rabbit would useit? Would it help their fur at all? Just wondering.

Thanks everyone for answering. It appears to beblood. from what i don't know i'll let youknow.

IT LOOKS LIKE SHE GOT CUT ON HER CAGE I AM LOOKING TO SEEWHAT SHE HIT. SHE LOVED THEBATH. SHEWAS SUCH AN ANGEL

babydoshia wrote:
What about a dust bath like chinchillas, degus, and gerbilsuse? Do you think a rabbit would use it? Would ithelp their fur at all? Just wondering.

Rabbits lick themselves clean like a cat, although both will roll in the dust every so often.

Pam

I do give my bunnies baths once in awhile but Ido it very carefully. Observe their behavior. Ifthey are in panic, remove them from the water immediately.I've heard of rabbits having heart attacks while taking baths.

Thanks for the article! I try not togive them baths anymore, but Iszy doesn't do a very good job ofcleaning herself so I give her one once in awhile. Shedoesn't seem to mind. But Lenci freaks out. Shehates the water. What I do now is use "bunny wipes" that Ibought from Petco. They're like baby wipes but supposed to besafe for rabbits. They work okay.

If either of my buns are caked in something(usually mud from the garden) then my husband holds them over the bathand I run tepid water over the dirt from a shower head. They toleratethis really well, though my husband usually gets soaked :D. I then givethem a thorough drying -(the bunnies that is, not hubby)!

jan

Hello.. when my rabbit Emmy takes a bath... italways jumps out and runs while it's wet. One time we took it a bath,we blowed dried it, but when we smelt it, it really didn't smell thatgood...:DloL.. any other suggestions? Plus i found this sprayshampoo that you just spray on, but it costs alot.. :?

Trina wrote:
Hello.. when my rabbit Emmy takes a bath... it always jumpsout and runs while it's wet. One time we took it a bath, we bloweddried it, but when we smelt it, it really didn't smell thatgood...:DloL.. any other suggestions? Plus i found this sprayshampoo that you just spray on, but it costs alot.. :?
You call your bunny "it"? :(

Trina wrote:
Hello.. when my rabbit Emmy takes a bath... it always jumpsout and runs while it's wet. One time we took it a bath, we bloweddried it, but when we smelt it, it really didn't smell thatgood...:DloL.. any other suggestions? Plus i found this sprayshampoo that you just spray on, but it costs alot.. :?

how often do yuo give your bunny a bath???

im not sure about this but i do belive that it is notnessisary most of the time rabbits are very clean animals and have oilsin their fur which they need also. giving them a bath causes them to bestressed out . here mabe this will help

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/groom.html

Latest posts

Back