Can you feed a youngster too much?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whaleyk98

Reaction score
I have a 9 week oldEL baby ...the last from a litter. I noticed that his stomach is really round....if you didnt know any better youd think that hes pregnant...thats how round it is. Am I feeding him too much? He is very lively and there is nothing wrong with him....but hes really fat. Any ideas....and if so how do i fix it?

I don't think there's such a thing as feeding a baby too much, especially one that young. Could he have belly parasites or gas/bloat?

I feed free choice pellets till they are three months then I'll slow the feed amt, if this was my bunny I would have it at the vet's office asap.LOL with your bunny.

Hes not ill. Hes totally fine but he has a very round belly. I was just wondering what it could be or if this is normal. Hes eating/pooping/ drinking normally. Could he need worming maybe? Ill call the vet and see when I can bring him in but if ths is something minor that I can fix then Id obviously would like to do that first.

what wormer should I use. I heard of Ivomec (is that right? and is this the same as ivermectin??) I just dont know how much to give. Does anyone know?

edited to say that I found a dosage calculator so I will try and look it up...

Personally, I find that to be the norm. I raise Hollands and their bellies are usually huge and hard as babies. When you pick them up, it's almost lke picking up a tennis ball. lol As long as he's eating, drinking, pooping ok, then I wouldn't take any other measures. I try to hold off on medicating rabbits so young if I can.

Ok. Thanks a bunch. Ill just keep an eye on him. Hes so stinking cute its hard not to look at him anyway! =)

"it's almost lke picking up a tennis ball. lol "

LoL, so true - all my little guys (8 weeks this Friday)look like they got into our tennis balls and swallowed them...I swear, who would've thought those little tummies could hold SO much food? :coolness:

Latest posts

Back