Can you bond a Trio?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmv1983

Reaction score
Is it possible to bond a trio of buns? In August I adopted a male bun from a local rescue to keep my female bun company. I have a male/female bonded pair who are both of course fixed. I was debating the possibility of adding a third bun. I know the rescue that I adopted my male from has several buns for adoption, ones that I would not mind giving a home to. But it would only be possible if I could bond them with my current buns.

If this is possible what would be the best grouping?

Male/male/female

female/female/male

Or is such a bonding not suggested or possible?

Thank you in advance!

A trio is definitely possible. I currently have a mmf trio and have in the past had a ffm trio. The gender does not mean much, but the personality of the buns do (I'm really thick, I also just realised I currently have a ffm trio. I currently have two trios, lol). They all need to be reasonably laid back and not overly dominant or bossy/bullying. They also need to not be possessive of each other.

There are risks to a trio. It can upset the balance of the current pair and you could end up with one of the original pair rejected and alone, and the other bun bonds with the new bun. It's a bit hit and miss really, but it can be done under the right circumstances, which is really dependent on the buns and not much else. You won't just be able to move them all in together though, if you do decide to do it. You will need a neutral area to introduce them, and also need to neutralise the whole accommodation where the pair currently live.

My buns did have an upset once when my brother introduced his unspayed female to play outside with them. My current bonding went haywire for like a week or two, but the buns got over it soon after. I emailed the rescue group, as the rescuer knows my one bun, and had my girl for a couple of weeks. I think she would know if it was possible with my pair or not. I would not be willing to risk upsetting them again for a third bun, I'll wait to see what her opinion is :)

Thank you though :)

I had a fmm and she had enough after a year. Now I have a mmm. :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back