Can two male rabbits bond?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPoet00

Reaction score
I'm thinking ahead to possibly getting a friendfor Winston, since I'm going to start being away from the house more.I've heard that a male and female bond the best. However, I feel morecomfortable getting male rabbits neutered, so I'd prefer to have 2boys. The surgery is so much less invasive. Can two boy rabbits bond aswell as a male and female pair?

I would sayyes, if only because I havetwo male rabbits who get along pretty well. Yes, I recently posting aranting thread about them fighting, but overall they are bonded. Theysleep together and Valura grooms Chompers a lot. We're getting Valuraneutured next Friday, so I figure the fighting should stop completelyafter that.

Obviously I'm all for rabbits having buddies. I've noticed such achange for the better in Chompers since getting him a partner. He lovedAbby so much and was SO happy to have another bunny around.

NightPoet00 wrote:
...Can two boy rabbits bond as well as a male and female pair?
Most literature I've read suggests male to female, female to female, and male to male in that descending order of relative ease.

Some people claim all rabbits will bond if one utilizes propertechniques and expends the time and energy necessary to affect asuccessful conclusion. Others claim there are some bunnieswho just will not bond with some other particular bunnies no matterwhat one does. I lean more toward the latter view.

Buck

I'm stating from experience! I have 2 males and I cannot bond them for the life of me.

They were completely bonded, so much that one would freak out if theother was missing, and then one day, the fur went flying when thehormones changed and they have not been able to be together since.

They are housed in a double hutch, the only thing they have betweenthem is 1cm x 1cm wire and now they cuddle through that. But I cannotput them together, the second I do the fighting starts. No matter whereI try or what I try, I just can't win!

So I stand by the 2nd view. It really depends on the personality of theindividual rabbit. I, however, would not recommend a male/male pairunless you are prepared to separate and care for each separately ifneeded. It would be much more likely to have a female/male pair workout, as long as they are fixed. But those don't always work out either.

Stephanie, I am sorry if I sound crazy (perhaps Imissed a post somewhere along the line) but I thought Valura was agirl. What with Ernest being Ernestine and Valura being a boy, my brainis not coping too well :p

Woops, I've just read your other post and now it all becomes clear.Perhaps the 'Lepus' night had a wierd affect on the genders of ourbunnies :shock::shock: - Jan

LOL, no problems Jan. It was a surprise to us too.

I'm really hoping my two bucks stay bonded. So far, it's been goodbetween them, but I am seeing signs of bad bunny behavior. Hopefullythat'll change soon.

LuvaBun wrote:
Woops, I've just read your other post and now it all becomes clear.Perhaps the 'Lepus' night had a wierd affect on the genders of ourbunnies :shock::shock: - Jan

Night of the Lepus, the full moon and a lunar eclipse!Most likely, the rare simultaneous occurrence of these events isresponsible!

Pam

Latest posts

Back